Topic: artisticdude's Sound Effects

artisticdude on May 12, 2010, 06:42:08 PM

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
  • Sound Effects Guy/Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
Here's the products of my efforts thus far. I tried uploading it as an attachment, but it was too large. Feedback would be appreciated, concerning both the contents of the linked download and suggestions for new sounds effects.:)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:28:12 PM by artisticdude »
Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.
                                                              --Michelangelo
  • Read 24724 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 62

fusion44 on May 12, 2010, 08:05:01 PM
Reply #1

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The link doesn't work :)

fusion44 on May 12, 2010, 09:09:24 PM
Reply #2

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great sound effects! I especially like the open door sound.

qubodup on May 13, 2010, 11:00:35 PM
Reply #3

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
All of these sounds are excellent! Especially the dog impressed me.

May I know what you used as a basis for these sounds and what software you used? [EDIT: I found your introduction post, I know your software now ;) ] I'm curious on one hand and on the other, if you used existing sounds, this might be relevant for SumWar's licensing. :)

The metal door squeak has a slightly strange "secondary squeak" at the end, as if there's another object squeaking.

I would recommend .wav as a fromat for sound effects. It preserves quality, in case they need to be edited. :)

About your hosting service: You are linking to mediafire.com/myfiles.php which is relative to the user, you will have to look for something like a "public link" or "share files" link or something.

Mediafire is quite good, but I have had data loss experience with it in the past. If you want something safer, I can recommend http://box.net

Thanks for your great sounds again!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:12:19 AM by qubodup »

artisticdude on May 14, 2010, 02:40:40 AM
Reply #4

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
    • View Profile
Quote from: 'qubodup' pid='82' dateline='1273788035'

All of these sounds are excellent! Especially the dog impressed me.

Thanks, although the dog wasn't recorded by me- it's a heavily edited Garageband sample. I took the original recording (four barks in with high reverberation throughout), chopped out the best one, reduced the reverberation through a series of edits, changed the volume in places so that the sample flowed better, then re-rendered it into an economic file-size and the .wav format. After that, I imported the sound effect into logic for detailed clipping, and then rendered the sound effect into the final product.

Currently working on bow sounds (using an actual bow, so it can't get any more realistic than that). I've been looking around for some objects to create sword clashes and such, but metal bars are too thick and dense, and fencing swords don't have the necessary weight... I might try combining several sounds, since I've found that to be quite an effective method. But, I prefer to use the actual, original sound whenever possible.

Making cloth and leather sounds is fairly easy (I mean, who doesn't have a pair of shorts and a traveling bag?:D), but it's when you get to magic SFX that things start getting difficult. Therefore I'm currently working on magic SFX.:cool:
                                                              --Michelangelo

West on May 14, 2010, 08:08:40 AM
Reply #5

West

• View Profile
Using Garageband sounds might be a problem. While I know that the samples that come with Garageband may be freely used in music, I'm not sure one-off sound samples are legit to use, especially in a GPL game. So unless you're completely clear on this, I suggest you have a look at the license for the Garageband content. Apple is usually very protective about their stuff and the last thing we want is a cease-and-desist order from their lawyers.

Now as for the magic sfx... I have to say that I honestly don't like them much. Maybe that's just me but I find them far too synthy, some of them sounding almost like something out of a campy old sci-fi movie. While it's perfectly fine using synths for some sound effects, I think you should aim for something less tonal and less obviously synthesized. IMO it doesn't make sense having a magic attack that sounds like a synth note or chord, that's just... odd.

I actually think it would be better to create magic sounds from real audio samples -- could be anything really -- and then use different effects to make them sound weirder.

qubodup on May 14, 2010, 11:09:46 AM
Reply #6

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
Quote from: 'West' pid='98' dateline='1273820920'
Using Garageband sounds might be a problem.
That's something I wanted to ask about as well. Could you perhaps upload the EULA or whatever they call their license agreement for the sounds? There were some submissions to Opengameart, which are still on hold, because the submitter was anonymous and it was impossible to find out if Garageband permits using its sound for sound effects that may be re-distributed.

artisticdude on May 14, 2010, 12:46:25 PM
Reply #7

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
    • View Profile
:( Heck, I hadn't even considered that, but it says that you can use the samples to create sounds for whatever purpose you want, but you cannot use the individual sounds except for personal use. I haven't uploaded any of the sounds exactly as they came in Garageband. I've modified a couple of the sounds (such as changing the reverb and length), but that very probably isn't enough, so I'll go back and correct that. I'm probably going to have to change a few things, I'll upload the edited versions at some point.

Thanks for the info, BTW. This is my first time doing sound effects for anything other than my personal use, so this is useful to know.:)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:30:35 PM by artisticdude »
                                                              --Michelangelo

West on May 14, 2010, 02:43:07 PM
Reply #8

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='114' dateline='1273837585'
I've modified a couple of the sounds (such as changing the reverb and length), but that very probably isn't enough, so I'll go back and correct that. I'm probably going to have to change a few things, I'll upload the edited versions at some point.

Um, if you have to modify the sounds so much they're unrecognizable, I'm not sure they'll be of much use to us.

"ZOOOOINK!"
"What the hell was that?"
"It's a barking dog."

:D

Any reason you can't just sample your own sounds?

artisticdude on May 14, 2010, 05:05:03 PM
Reply #9

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
    • View Profile
Quote from: 'West' pid='116' dateline='1273844587'

Um, if you have to modify the sounds so much they're unrecognizable, I'm not sure they'll be of much use to us.

Hmm, yeah, it's not really worth it.

Quote from: 'West'
No, none at all, except I might not have access to or the ability to record some sounds.

And about the magic sfx: no, definitely no synths. Some of the commercial RPG games I've played have similar synthetic sound effects to what I posted for non-aggressive spells (such as healing), so I thought I'd take a stab at that kind of sound in case it could be used somewhere. But for aggressive spells such as fire and ice, I agree that organic sounds are more in order.
Quote from: 'West' pid='116' dateline='1273844587'

Hmm, yeah, it's not really worth it.

Quote from: 'West'
No, none at all, except I might not have access to or the ability to record some sounds.

And about the magic sfx: no, definitely no synths. Some of the commercial RPG games I've played have similar synthetic sound effects to what I posted for non-aggressive spells (such as healing), so I thought I'd take a stab at that kind of sound in case it could be used somewhere. But for aggressive spells such as fire and ice, I agree that organic sounds are more in order.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:05:03 PM by artisticdude »
                                                              --Michelangelo

West on May 14, 2010, 05:31:59 PM
Reply #10

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='122' dateline='1273853103'

I suppose not, but we need to look at what sounds we actually have an immediate and realistic use for. The sound of, I dunno, a neighing horse is far less likely to be needed (as I haven't seen any horses in the game yet) than various combat or interface sounds.

Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='122' dateline='1273853103'

Synths work for some stuff as long as it's subtle, yes. I just thought there was too much obvious synthiness in your samples. And I agree that agressive spells should have organic, or at least non-tonal sounds. There's a lot of things you can do to create a raw sample that can be transformed into something completely different. From the top of my head -- record a paper being torn in two, a zipper, or a creaking door and use pitch shifting and some modulation effect to create a weird swooshing sound. You could even record yourself making noises with your mouth and then mess with the samples in various ways to make it sound completely different. And, of course, you can layer two or more samples into one.

That's the hardest thing about sound effects right there: figuring out a way of making a sound that can't be captured in reality. But that's also part of the fun :)

qubodup on May 14, 2010, 10:50:33 PM
Reply #11

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='114' dateline='1273837585'

:( Heck, I hadn't even considered that, but it says that you can use the samples to create sounds for whatever purpose you want, but you cannot use the individual sounds except for personal use.

You could ask the support team on that page whether your use counts as "sound project" or as "using the loops".

Quote from: 'West' pid='125' dateline='1273854719'
That's the hardest thing about sound effects right there: figuring out a way of making a sound that can't be captured in reality. But that's also part of the fun :)

I would prefer recording a sound live over trying to simulate it any day ;P

artisticdude on May 17, 2010, 12:24:30 AM
Reply #12

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
    • View Profile
Just want to let you guys know I'm working on this, I just haven't had much time over the weekend (two fencing tournaments:D). I'll try and post some finished sfx tomorrow if possible.
                                                              --Michelangelo

qubodup on May 18, 2010, 12:03:55 AM
Reply #13

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='182' dateline='1274052270'
Just want to let you guys know I'm working on this, I just haven't had much time over the weekend (two fencing tournaments:D). I'll try and post some finished sfx tomorrow if possible.
That's great, I can't wait to hear new, original sounds from you. :)

About sumwars_SFX_1-4.zip: may I ask you to point out which of the files are not made with garageband samples? I would like to add them to opengameart. Also: What license(s) would you like to place them under?
Here's a handy list of the files in question (I hope I didn't miss anything): http://pastie.org/964652

artisticdude on May 18, 2010, 12:21:38 PM
Reply #14

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
    • View Profile
I'll upload my original sfx (with no garageband stuff) as soon as I run the next batch through the editing process.:)
                                                              --Michelangelo