Topic: I may be able to help with music

Dratz-_C on February 26, 2011, 01:36:45 AM

Dratz-_C

Hello,
I just bought Wivi band (http://wallanderinstruments.com) and think I might be able to use it to help with some music (just an example of what I did with the trial edition in 2007 http://www.box.net/shared/ptevse9ngp ).
Cheers,
Chris Dratz
  • Read 20047 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 34

West on February 28, 2011, 10:25:46 PM
Reply #1

West

• View Profile
Hey Chris, sorry for the delay. Judging from that demo you definitely seem to know what you're doing and Wivi sounds damn nice. I'd love to have you on board but the question is: do you consider yourself capable of composing in the style we have in mind for the game? As you may or may not know our requirements are quite specific.

Dratz-_C on March 02, 2011, 05:53:59 AM
Reply #2

Dratz-_C

Hey West,
I composed a short, rough concept that I think might sound similar to the style and theme you ask for in the sticky. When I get a favorable opinion about a concept, I will begin to develop it. Here is a link to the flac file: http://www.box.net/shared/mh9e9hlgzy I used your Sonatina Symphony Orchestra for the strings, and Wallander Wivi Band for the brass.
Cheers,
Chris Dratz

West on March 02, 2011, 02:45:00 PM
Reply #3

West

• View Profile
Well it's very short so it's hard to form any real opinion about it. Spontaneously I'd say it sounds maybe a bit too cheerful but that would of course depend on the rest of the composition as well.

Dratz-_C on March 02, 2011, 06:31:48 PM
Reply #4

Dratz-_C

West,
I prefer some spontaneous discussion over going out on a limb and sequencing orphans and tangents, because I feel it results in greater equanimity. I think the cheerful bit is a result of there being an equal ratio of major-to-minor chords, the brisk string elements, and the quick tempo. Do you think that I should up the minor to major proportion, mellow the strings, and/or lower the tempo?
Regards,
Chris Dratz

West on March 03, 2011, 04:09:42 PM
Reply #5

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Dratz-_C' pid='1566' dateline='1299087108'
I prefer some spontaneous discussion over going out on a limb and sequencing orphans and tangents, because I feel it results in greater equanimity.

I don't even know what you just said, but OK :D

Quote from: 'Dratz-_C' pid='1566' dateline='1299087108'
I think the cheerful bit is a result of there being an equal ratio of major-to-minor chords, the brisk string elements, and the quick tempo. Do you think that I should up the minor to major proportion, mellow the strings, and/or lower the tempo?

I think you should try and make the piece longer. I simply can't have a useful opinion about a detached 13 second part. It could be great, it could be awful, I simply don't know. It all depends on what happens before and after it.

Dratz-_C on March 03, 2011, 04:17:31 PM
Reply #6

Dratz-_C

West,
Equanimity means evenness of mind under stress (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equanimity ).
Thanks for your assessment. I will follow your advice and lengthen the piece.
Cheers,
Chris Dratz
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:22:17 PM by Dratz-_C »

KroArtem on March 03, 2011, 08:16:07 PM
Reply #7

KroArtem

• View Profile
I don't know anything about music creation, but something strong and powerful can be created after this 13-seconds piece, and it'd sound great at least for me:)

Dratz-_C on March 05, 2011, 12:15:46 AM
Reply #8

Dratz-_C

Hello,
KroArtem, your opinion means a great deal to me, and I thank you for posting it. I feel this way as well. I hope I can deliver on the potential.
I have lengthened the concept with a transposition and, with respect to the brass, adapted the transposition to the appropriate instruments. Here is the concept and its transposition in again the flac format: http://www.box.net/shared/c43r8klfv7 . I am so happy to still be using Wivi Band for the brasswind instruments.
Cheers,
Chris Dratz
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:22:22 AM by Dratz-_C »

KroArtem on March 05, 2011, 07:31:08 PM
Reply #9

KroArtem

• View Profile
Hm, I've got one idea. What about making it longer (yeah, again :)) and using it as a background music in character selection screen? In fact Sumwars already has a background music in menu/character selection screen, but I think it is possible to randomize it and to launch this song or another. This will add some variety to the music ;)

Dratz-_C on March 06, 2011, 02:55:39 AM
Reply #10

Dratz-_C

KroArtem, West:
Thanks for helping me decide to proceed in developing the concept. I have an idea of what to do next. I'll post when I make progress.
Cheers,
Chris Dratz

Dratz-_C on March 07, 2011, 02:43:51 AM
Reply #11

Dratz-_C

Hey again,
I have added some of a development for the concept. Here it is in flac format: http://www.box.net/shared/o5jlyucrmn . Hopefully I am hitting the mark.
Cheers,
Chris

fusion44 on March 07, 2011, 06:28:48 PM
Reply #12

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This really sounds like spring :) I can imagine when running through parts of the world where no enemies are and green trees wave in the sun this will fit very well.

kalimgard on March 07, 2011, 10:18:17 PM
Reply #13

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
hm... this is a very special case. It is nice, but it's quite hectic and I have trouble to combine it with our normal game mode. But it may fit with bigger cities like Dwarfenwall (after the siege is over, of course ;) )

Dratz-_C on March 07, 2011, 11:05:39 PM
Reply #14

Dratz-_C

fusion44, Kalimgard:
Hey,
I am grateful for your discussion. From it I think that it is turning out that this music may be useful later in the game for (an) urban area(s) so I will be happy to continue working on the development. I feel that achieving a scope in the game that includes big city music is important and am enjoying the work.
(However, Kalimgard or anyone else, when there a place where I have done something excessive and/or confusing, please tell me right where it is. I will soberly consider changing it. Change is good. ;))
Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:09:26 PM by Dratz-_C »