Topic: Gameplay music

Dratz-_C on December 11, 2011, 07:26:22 PM
Reply #75

Dratz-_C

West,
How about "Imperiled Hero" as a title?; or anything that suggests the challenge of battle rather than the psychology of the subject. I think your music sounds good except for the French horns not synchronizing with the trumpets (or the general rhythm?) at 1:43-45. I think your "Inferno Behomoth" conveys the shock of the creature and then the tactics it invokes on the unlucky people it kills. I feel You have done a good job with it, so far. I'll see you in your new thread.
Cheers

Telaron on January 02, 2012, 05:24:05 PM
Reply #76

Telaron

• View Profile
Hey West, just thought I'd say that I thoroughly enjoyed your song 'A Reluctant Hero'. Great job with the forward motion. As I was listening, I found myself looking forward to see how you would connect those melodies. Awesome, can't wait to hear more. (The download says its a WIP so I presume there will be more?)

West on January 14, 2012, 02:34:03 PM
Reply #77

West

• View Profile
Thanks for your comments guys, and sorry for my absence. I'm composing a commissioned track and that has to take precedence for now, but I'm still working on these two tunes when time permits :)

West on March 17, 2012, 10:48:03 PM
Reply #78

West

• View Profile
Inferno Behemoth is almost done... ended up almost a minute longer than I intended but I was on a roll.

Right now there's some stuff missing, like percussion in some places, a continuation of the horn melody at 1:10, and the staccato flutes/oboes in the final part.  The timing also needs to be tidied up in a lot of places, and there's a few out of tune notes in the solo bassoon's high register -- need to fix that.

I made the end of the tune a bit more subdued for two reasons. Firstly, there's no actual confrontation with the monster so having the track ending in a big climax makes no sense. Secondly, as it's longer than might be necessary for the cutscene & dialog, it sounds better if it's cut short during a soft part than a loud one.

I also seem to remember Trilby wishing for more choral parts so... there you go :)

In other news, A Relcutant Hero is around 90% finished, I've just been procrastinating because of some tedious detail work that needs to be done. I've also a completely new track close to being finished but more on that in a little while...

Lastmerlin on March 19, 2012, 11:38:33 PM
Reply #79

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice to see you around here again :)
Very nice work with the new track, too. I especially like the rhytm - of course the syncopes (right word?) add greatly to the drive of the piece.
Concerning length: You can quite easily test the piece in-place by calling a simple command while playing the game. This gives you a rough idea how the piece fits into the cutscene at least.
I noticed that the XML code in this part of the forum got fucked up, need to fix that. But the simple command is still available.

poVoq on March 20, 2012, 12:23:38 AM
Reply #80

poVoq

• View Profile
Nice song for sure! Could be fitting for a nice background music of a new trailer ;)

West on March 21, 2012, 12:27:07 AM
Reply #81

West

• View Profile
Lastmerlin: thanks! And yes that is the right word, the intro in particular has some interesting syncopation going on :) As for length, I did try it back when I started composing the piece and concluded that the cutscene and following dialog requires around 1:30. But then that depends on how fast you read (and click) so the music being too long is probably better than too short.

poVoq: Not a bad idea, I'm much happier with this track than the one for the current video which was a very rushed composition.

Stand by for updates, I might just be able to finish both this one and A Reluctant Hero before the week is over.