Topic: Gameplay music

West on October 04, 2011, 11:00:15 PM
Reply #60

West

• View Profile
Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the bits of progress I've made. Actually I agree, tidying the playing up and adding little details and nuances really made a world of difference.

Tribly, I see what you mean. Tried it in-game myself and you're right, it's wrong for the giant monster scene -- kind of funny though :) As you say, the cut scenes will need their own music later on but right now we'll have to live with the music being slightly inappropriate sometimes. Either that or have bland music that's semi-appropriate for everything :P

Also, this tune is not meant to replace Treacherous Paths. I think both work well for the tutorial, as long as we have some darker stuff for when the Branded One meets Windclaw (and, as mentioned, a "giant flaming monster cue").

Lastmerlin on October 05, 2011, 07:59:41 PM
Reply #61

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I now got the time to post some feedback as well. First of all: Its very nice to see you posting some new content again :) . On the piece itself: For me, this is not some music for confrontation or meeting some major antagonist. This piece rather sounds like a perfect theme for some evil-doers operating sneakingly under the cover of night. After 1:10 it gets friendlier and not that appropriate for some *evil* scenes.

dezGusty on November 14, 2011, 05:03:30 PM
Reply #62

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Just a question:

Do you guys think the style from this one is fitting to the game? (I for one like the used instrumentation, and the used tools seem to be freely available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJusal6f5Io

Lastmerlin on November 14, 2011, 05:38:48 PM
Reply #63

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am seriously wondering if there is any department in developement where you are not contributing anything :D
However for music be aware that the quality standard set by West is really high ^^

dezGusty on November 14, 2011, 07:00:27 PM
Reply #64

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
This must be just some residue back from the times when I was writing complete games on my own... before I actually knew exactly how much work that actually involves.

West on November 16, 2011, 11:30:30 AM
Reply #65

West

• View Profile
dezGusty, you think you could upload a higher quality version to box.net or some other file sharing service?

To everyone posting music submissions: youtube compresses audio to crap, please don't use it. It's impossible to form an opinion about sample and sound quality when the music is swimming in warbly compression artifacts.

dezGusty on November 16, 2011, 11:47:00 AM
Reply #66

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
West: no, sorry.
I'm not the author of the piece. I just came across it, and liked the style.

West on November 16, 2011, 12:29:23 PM
Reply #67

West

• View Profile
West: no, sorry.
I'm not the author of the piece. I just came across it, and liked the style.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you created it. Personally I think the percussion stuff is really cool but the melodic samples are lacking to say the least, so it's nothing I would use as is.

West on December 09, 2011, 04:13:36 PM
Reply #68

West

• View Profile
New track -- A Reluctant Hero.

Structurally finished but still missing a lot of details and polish. This, I think, could be considered typical "general gameplay" music. Dramatic enough to be used during regular combat & exploration, but not quite as intense as boss fight music (e.g. Battle at Dwarfenwall). If anyone can think of a better title, let me know.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:01:11 PM by West »

Trilby on December 09, 2011, 09:04:15 PM
Reply #69

Trilby

• View Profile
Well... I love it, so far! Nice work, West.

If it would have been a welcome suggestion, I would have favoured a choir section to another composition. Not just because I'm hooked to the latest Skyrim soundtrack, either.  ;)

West on December 10, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
Reply #70

West

• View Profile
Thanks Trilby! Not sure what you mean about the choir though... you think it's unfitting?

Also, here's another one for ya: Inferno Behemoth. Still only 30 seconds, need to be about a minute longer I think. And if you haven't guessed it, it's for the inferno behemoth cutscene and dialog in the tutorial :)

West on December 10, 2011, 06:48:39 PM
Reply #71

West

• View Profile
Hmm, this thread is starting to get very cluttered and confusing. I'm going to post a new thread with links to all my sumwars tracks, and I encourage other music contributors to do the same.

Jorge Avila on December 11, 2011, 12:00:30 AM
Reply #72

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
Hmm, this thread is starting to get very cluttered and confusing. I'm going to post a new thread with links to all my sumwars tracks, and I encourage other music contributors to do the same.

Yeah, i support that move.

By the way "A Reluctant Hero", sounds awesome. Pretty intense and dark.
I think it will be the "Hit" of sumwars.
I really enjoy  hearing the percussion and the arrangements. and the "ahhhhh" sound kind of magical and dark :P
You could use it in some other pieces, i think.

I'm Sorry for not being able to give you the feedback you deserve.
But i can  tell is that i really like it =).

Lastmerlin on December 11, 2011, 09:09:26 AM
Reply #73

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Seems that you are back with a rush of creativity - excellent work West !  Your reluctant hero piece will mix in nicely to the existing gameplay music. Some more diversity in this area is very important too, because our current music content is awesome, but gets repetitive after a while. Concerning the title: I agree, that its somewhat suboptimal (considering that the piece itself it rather agressive and motivating) - but does the player ever see the title somewhere ? As far as I know, that is not the case, so that it is not a big issue.

Trilby on December 11, 2011, 02:12:11 PM
Reply #74

Trilby

• View Profile
Thanks Trilby! Not sure what you mean about the choir though... you think it's unfitting?

Heavens, no. I actually meant it as an endorsement. I really like choral/voice work in orchestral music but I also think it suits this piece wonderfully.  :)