http://opengameart.org/content/terror-from-the-forest

West on October 17, 2010, 09:21:19 AM
Reply #31

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='1025' dateline='1287286521'

I wrote this piece for the game, but I'm not sure if it fits in or not.:s

http://opengameart.org/content/terror-from-the-forest

Excellent stuff Telaron! I like it and it definitely fits the game. I think the sustained strings could use some cc#11 to make them sound a bit less static, but other than it's really good. Too short though, you think you could make it maybe a minute longer?

Also, if you're going to submit pieces for possible inclusion in sumwars, please don't post them on places like opengameart first. We're going for an original soundtrack here and I would prefer if the music hasn't been used in other projects before being included in sumwars.

Telaron on October 18, 2010, 01:30:31 PM
Reply #32

Telaron

• View Profile
Thanks West.:)

Sorry about posting on opengameart. I need to upload it from another site, because the sumwars forum wouldn't allow such a large file.

Hmm, another minute. I'll try West. I still haven't broken 1:40 on my compositions, but we'll see...:D

BTW, would you like me to remove it form OGA?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:31:22 PM by Telaron »

West on October 20, 2010, 05:26:21 PM
Reply #33

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='1027' dateline='1287405031'
Thanks West.:)

Sorry about posting on opengameart. I need to upload it from another site, because the sumwars forum wouldn't allow such a large file.

Hmm, another minute. I'll try West. I still haven't broken 1:40 on my compositions, but we'll see...:D

BTW, would you like me to remove it form OGA?

No, you don't have to remove the current version but if I say yes, well use this, I'm going to have to ask you not to upload any newer versions to opengameart until the piece is included in sumwars. Sorry if this seems silly but I really want this game to have a unique soundtrack and not just a playlist of random, unrelated pieces that have been used and re-used in a dozen other projects. Obviously you don't have to go along with this if you don't want to, it's your choice. But be aware that this is a requirement for getting a piece in the game.

Speaking of requirements, IIRC I told you regarding some other piece that all music needs to feature some theme from the game. As far as I can tell this one does not, so there's an idea for that extra minute: try to come up with a variation on a sumwars theme and weave it into the composition.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:28:06 PM by West »

Telaron on November 05, 2010, 01:39:02 PM
Reply #34

Telaron

• View Profile
Terror from the Forest

Alright, I made it over the two minute mark.:)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:05:26 PM by Telaron »

CheeseLord on November 14, 2010, 10:42:59 AM
Reply #35

CheeseLord

• View Profile
Telaron: That link seems to be broken...perhaps you need the 'shared' link?? ;)

Telaron on November 17, 2010, 03:27:29 PM
Reply #36

Telaron

• View Profile
Quote from: 'CheeseLord' pid='1120' dateline='1289727779'

Sorry, every time Mediafire logs me out, the link stops working.

Terror from the Forest

Anyone know of a good file sharing site that that is free?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:31:50 PM by Telaron »

West on November 17, 2010, 07:38:44 PM
Reply #37

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='1122' dateline='1290004049'
Anyone know of a good file sharing site that that is free?

box.net

Andreas on November 24, 2010, 07:51:26 PM
Reply #38

Andreas

You probably hear that all the time:

You are a genius man! I totaly love your work.

The loud part of Imminent Danger II comes a little bit to hard for me. Quite a shocker there ;-). It will be hard to loop this piece in a game situation, but it could fit definetly into a cutscene.

Best wishes
Andreas

West on November 25, 2010, 08:21:47 PM
Reply #39

West

• View Profile
Thank you Andreas!

As for Imminent Danger II (or Tread Lightly, as it's called now) I see what you mean, but personally I see no problem with the music being highly dynamic. Yes, the loud part might appear at the wrong moment (e.g. when the player has killed all monsters in an area and no dramatic stuff is going on) but OTOH, would it be better to keep all music at the same dynamic level so nothing will "jump out"? I think not. That would get boring after a while and it would severely limit my and other contributor's options.

It's orchestral music, not pop, and soft parts followed by loud parts is par for the course :)

Andreas on November 25, 2010, 10:47:29 PM
Reply #40

Andreas

I see what you mean. The music should definetly be cool and not boring! I also have to admit, that I have no knolege of this fine art, so I leave the judgement to the one, who know, what they are talking about ;-). I think your music fits the game very well.

Best wishes
Andreas

West on November 26, 2010, 01:29:02 PM
Reply #41

West

• View Profile
To clarify, I wasn't implying that you don't know what you're talking about, I was just trying to explain my view. That doesn't mean there can't be an actual problem with this tune or any other, and if others feel the same way about dynamic shifts like that I'm of course willing to tone it down a bit.

I'm not some unassailable expert, I often make bad mixing/arranging desicions that aren't obvious to me. So I'm glad that people point these things out.

Trilby on November 26, 2010, 10:19:24 PM
Reply #42

Trilby

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='1122' dateline='1290004049'

Quote from: 'CheeseLord' pid='1120' dateline='1289727779'

Sorry, every time Mediafire logs me out, the link stops working.

Terror From the Forest

I uploaded it to 4shared.com, but that only allows you to listen to, not download the song. Anyone know of a good file sharing site that that is free?

Hey Telaron, I missed the earlier development of this piece when it was posted. I wasn't too sure on the latest version when I first listened to it, but I actually think the backdrop to the track is fantastic. I must have had my volume turned too low, the first listen through. I missed a lot of detail, all of it makes for great gameplay music.

I think the higher string parts could transition better, early on and about the 0.57 sec section. these sound very synthy. The very latter part sounds as if it could break into melody, but doesn't quite make the complexity. I think most of the higher string parts could work in some subtle refrain, maybe based on West's theme, perhaps. But your work in the lower register sections hits the mark, I think.

Nice.

Telaron on November 29, 2010, 01:47:45 PM
Reply #43

Telaron

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Trilby' pid='1149' dateline='1290806364'

all of it makes for great gameplay music.

Thanks, Trilby.:)

The higher strings could probably be replaced. I'll have to go back through EWQL's library and see if I can find a replacement.

Thanks for the reply.:D

BTW, check my last link guys. You can now download the mp3.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:34:00 PM by Telaron »

Lastmerlin on December 14, 2010, 11:14:37 PM
Reply #44

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just noticed that I somehow missed the last progress here and tried to catch up now. On the last piece: Well awesome work again, as usually in the music department ^^. I think we have plenty occasion to use this, not only woods, but I think it would also fit some creepy caves. As it combines several moods (dangerous, agressive, mysterious) its not very easy to classify.

One essential question is: Is this piece finished right now ? I know that you are all perfectionists and do not like unpolished music to be published. On the other hand that means, that you should explicitely mark pieces you are satisfied with ;)