Topic: Gameplay music

West on August 10, 2010, 10:23:00 PM
Reply #15

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Trilby' pid='717' dateline='1281474334'

"Stand your Ground" sounds pretty fun so far. The bombastic part immediately came across as more of a Superhero's soundtrack. Personally I like that though. :angel:

Hmm, yeah. I see how you you might make that connection, considering the action flick percussion.

Quote from: 'Trilby' pid='717' dateline='1281474334'
I think you're right, that the piece would find a home in some heroic deed, a boss fight or a specific combative plot event.

Yup. I haven't tried it ingame yet though. If anyone does, please report if there's some special part of the storyline where it would fit. Alas, I need to find time to sit down and play through the entire game -- or the completed part more correctly. I'm embarassed to say I haven't, yet. Right now it's either play the game or write music. I've prioritized the latter as we really do need music for the next release.

West on August 11, 2010, 02:43:13 PM
Reply #16

West

• View Profile
Stand Your Ground has been updated, same link as before.

Still not clear on the intro but I've polished the rest up a bit.

kalimgard on August 12, 2010, 10:39:14 AM
Reply #17

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven't tried it out ingame, but I think it would be good to have for bossfights like the lich. Especially if the "intro" part and the rest were seperate, so that it could be played during the "party and boss talk stuff before killing each other" time.

West on August 12, 2010, 02:58:55 PM
Reply #18

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'kalimgard' pid='725' dateline='1281605954'

I haven't tried it out ingame, but I think it would be good to have for bossfights like the lich. Especially if the "intro" part and the rest were seperate, so that it could be played during the "party and boss talk stuff before killing each other" time.

Making the intro separate would not technically be a problem. What I'm wondering is what it sounds like when a track is playing and a new one is triggered. Can we do crossfades or will the first track just end abruptly?

Anyway, another update. The new stuff is sketchy and sloppy but right now I'm focusing on getting the parts down, I will go back and tidy things up later.

Trilby on August 12, 2010, 03:02:12 PM
Reply #19

Trilby

• View Profile
This composition has taken a sinister twist, I like it. I can see it fitting better with the other pieces now the intro has had some development.

I think the Lich could be your man. I've not seen this scene in action yet myself, but it sounds to be deserving of it's own piece. If the scene involves dialogue followed by a fight, there's more scope for the soundtrack, the whole scene can be given treatment, as it's not strictly speaking the same as combat music kicking in for a lesser boss (which I agree would be irksome considering the structure of the game).

Developing a looping version of the intro for the dialogue, could be useful as the talking is going to vary in length for different players, especially when the option for dialogue speed is introduced. So having the full run through of the track before action starts may want to be avoided.
If this route were followed, would it be easy to have that short "intro" play to it's end once dialogue is finished --and only then start play on the fight section of the composition? It would be awful if by cutting the piece up into separate tracks, either piece should jump tracks to the other in the middle of it's run through.

I should say only do this if it's easy and unobtrusive, and should let all music run to it's end before changing.

Ninja'd, doh
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:02:56 PM by Trilby »

West on August 12, 2010, 08:09:44 PM
Reply #20

West

• View Profile
Second update in one day, I think I'm on a roll here :) Past the 2 minute mark now, not sure how long to make it but I'll keep at it until I run out of ideas.

West on August 16, 2010, 02:23:35 PM
Reply #21

West

• View Profile
Stand your ground has been updated again. I'm not really happy with anything that happens after 2 minutes (especially not the way the "main theme goes imperial march" part just jumps over into some classical-sounding passage) so I'm thinking of letting the piece end just before that.

fusion44 on August 16, 2010, 05:15:06 PM
Reply #22

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think this sounds awesome. You could also try and make each section of the music last a bit longer. I feel they change to fast.

West on August 16, 2010, 09:39:34 PM
Reply #23

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'fusion44' pid='735' dateline='1281975306'

I think this sounds awesome. You could also try and make each section of the music last a bit longer. I feel they change to fast.

Thanks! As for the parts changing too fast, I must say that I think the first two minutes are pretty good in terms of pacing and structure. It's an action piece, there's supposed to be a lot of things happening. Repeating stuff over and over just doesn't work IMO. It's meant to be a bit tumultuous. That said, everything after two minutes is a mess.

Anyway, here's some scary music for ya. It could use some percussion here and there but other than that I think it works surprisingly well despite its simplicity. Try it on an underground region!

(And in case you're wondering, yes, I used synths for this tune.)

kalimgard on August 19, 2010, 01:55:24 PM
Reply #24

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
that would be good to have to create a bit of diversity in cave-music

Lastmerlin on August 23, 2010, 09:37:45 PM
Reply #25

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
By the way, didnt you promise to post some completed music after the weekend :P
However, no haste, we are still waiting for the network stuff...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:38:20 PM by Lastmerlin »

West on August 23, 2010, 09:50:44 PM
Reply #26

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='763' dateline='1282595865'

By the way, didnt you promise to post some completed music after the weekend :P
However, no haste, we are still waiting for the network stuff...

Yes I did, but I did also see your post about the release being delayed so I opted for not working my ass off :)

Telaron on August 24, 2010, 05:22:30 AM
Reply #27

Telaron

• View Profile
http://www.mediafire.com/?e0bbki75bm35px4
Here is the beginnings of some gameplay music I am composing. The ending is a bit monotonous, but I figured I'd go ahead and post it. If others agree, I could fix that ending part. (BTW, it isn't the real ending of the song. Just as far as I have gotten.):)

Lastmerlin on August 24, 2010, 07:06:19 AM
Reply #28

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well working your ass off is never an advisable option as I could imagine it to be rather painful (a real PITA to be precise) :D
However, delay will be over soon, now that the wrapper made by trapdoor is complete. Is completing the music pieces in question by end of the week realistic ?

West on August 24, 2010, 10:59:43 AM
Reply #29

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='770' dateline='1282629979'
Is completing the music pieces in question by end of the week realistic ?

It is. Actually I need to post the tunes *before* the weekend as I'm moving to a new apartment on saturday and I won't have any internet access until September 1st (it'll be a traumatizing experience no doubt).