Topic: Sumwars' grass does not look/feel dark/dangerous

qubodup on June 21, 2010, 02:17:13 AM

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
Sumwars is supposed to have a dark setting, right?

Well, the grasslands currently remind me more of something else... :angel:

current: ..
darker1:
darker2:

Does this help? I'm not sure, everything else keeps the same brightness after all. Is this the wrong way to fix it? Or is the 'tasty grass' style intended for this area?

Maybe we should mix the grass with dirt instead..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:23:32 PM by qubodup »
  • Read 3339 times
  • Category General
Comments: 9

Andreas on June 21, 2010, 11:49:32 PM
Reply #1

Andreas

Thats cool! The grass was one of the very hot fixes (Not so hot like the caves, but still hot ;-).
I realy like the dark1 look.

The whole ground thing is still a place with big qualitys for improvement. My personal wish would be some sort of layer texture like in Diablo 3 or a tilesystem used in older games.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:53:01 PM by Andreas »

fusion44 on June 22, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
Reply #2

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Layered texture aren't a problem when we switch to Ogre 1.7 and use its terrain system. http://www.vimeo.com/7592034 We don't have to use its highmap features since sumwars plays in a 2.5D world, but to add variation I think its ok.

poVoq on June 24, 2010, 07:32:48 PM
Reply #3

poVoq

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Andreas' pid='465' dateline='1277160572'

or a tilesystem used in older games.

Maybe a bit OT, but that would be great in combination with an really easy (2D?) leveleditor, for people to create custom levels.
What is the current level editing pipeline anyways for Sumwars? Would be great if easy moddability would be a main concern.

Lastmerlin on June 24, 2010, 07:53:36 PM
Reply #4

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
At the moment we abuse Maya (3D modelling and scene editing tool; commercial, but available at some universities for students) for scene creation. A real editor is planned (more precisely, an  editor made by fusion is existing, has to be adapted to sumwars), but this wont happen in the next weeks.
Creating whole regions is indeed a weak spot for moddability at the moment.
As an excuse I may mention, that the project was published quite recently and we are still building up infrastructure. I am convinced that we will be a lot farther with support for user made content in a few months.

poVoq on June 24, 2010, 08:09:49 PM
Reply #5

poVoq

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='496' dateline='1277405616'

At the moment we abuse Maya (3D modelling and scene editing tool; commercial, but available at some universities for students) for scene creation. A real editor is planned (more precisely, an  editor made by fusion is existing, has to be adapted to sumwars), but this wont happen in the next weeks.
Creating whole regions is indeed a weak spot for moddability at the moment.
As an excuse I may mention, that the project was published quite recently and we are still building up infrastructure. I am convinced that we will be a lot farther with support for user made content in a few months.

Well if you stay with the 2.5D concept a simple 2D painting editor (like the Glest RTS has is really nice and easy to use), but maybe that is already what the editor from Fusion does?
Otherwise I can only recommend to create the editor directly in the game (see f.e. Sauerbraten), which should be not such a big issue with the CEGUI right?

Speaking of the CEGUI, is a nicer skin for the GUI in the pipeline? Currently it looks rather blank.

fusion44 on June 24, 2010, 11:24:27 PM
Reply #6

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What I had in mind for the editor was adapting Ogitor for our 2.5D needs. I also want to adapt Ogre's terrain renderer for use in our regions. This may seem like overkill for an 2.5D application like Sumwars is but I think it actually makes sense to add small hight variations where the player can't walk anyway to make the world look more 3d than 2.5D. You can take a look at Ogitor at www.ogitor.org

I'm not a big fan of making an CEGUI editor since all ingame GUIs I know are so cumbersome and awkward to use compared to ever awesome Qt. :) Sumwars is a really complex game and an ingame editor would make the code base even more complex, which isn't a good thing IMHO. We should use the XML files that are well defined at the moment for communication between the two parts.

This is a video of the Lockenwickler editor for the Rastullahs Lockenpracht game which is not developed anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1ekVyv19o

I envision something similar for Sumwars just in 2.5D :)

poVoq on June 25, 2010, 01:32:42 PM
Reply #7

poVoq

• View Profile
Ok that sounds like a plan ;)

Btw do you have contacts to the artists from the rastullah project? Would be cool if they could at least release their art assets for use in other projects (under a open-source license).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:35:18 PM by poVoq »

poVoq on August 29, 2010, 09:54:02 PM
Reply #8

poVoq

• View Profile
Bump ;)

What is the status of the editor and the terrain integration?

Lastmerlin on August 29, 2010, 10:16:23 PM
Reply #9

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Both postponed until the jump to Ogre 1.7 is complete, because this can be done much easier then. And Ogre1.7 will be used in 0.5.3 which will be released - well after 0.5.2 that I thought I can release this weekend :(