Topic: Release 0.5.8

fusion44 on August 17, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I think its to time to set the plans for the next release straight.
We currently have 8 open issues on the tracker for 0.5.8: https://bitbucket.org/sumwars/sumwars-code/issues?status=open&status=new&version=0.5.8
I'll postpone issue #15 as this very rare and probably involves changing art of the building blocks for the caves.

I think we are on a good track to get this done programming wise.
Dez is making good progress on the sound engine and the editor is at least somewhat usable for generating static regions for the game. The rest of the bugs seem* easy to fix.

On content creation side, we can hopefully integrate the redesigned Mercenary camp from Psycho and his brother.
Together with the new sounds from Dez, this is the first release with new content since a long time!
I kind of lost track what finished music tracks we can add for the release, if someone has an overview please share here so we can add them too. I'd love to add another track for the main menu as its repeating very quickly.

The release should be doable for end of September. We have an IRC meeting on 22.09 scheduled.
We should do a last play test then and release then on next weekend (22.09)

What do you think? Did I forget anything?

*That it looks easy at first glance, doesn't mean it really is :-)
  • Read 2134 times
  • Category General
Comments: 10

dezGusty on August 17, 2013, 08:58:40 PM
Reply #1

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Stefan,

some of the newer tracks that West composed are already checked into the "gussoundtest" branch. Menu tracks were also changed (the menu playlist is loaded from an XML now). Some sounds are also played when hovering and/or clicking buttons.

Have a look over it when you have some minutes. :)

The new tracks that were added so far are:
- goblin_rituals
- reluctant_hero
Still to add:
- inferno_behemoth
- council_dungeons
- Chris' tracks.

fusion44 on August 18, 2013, 09:18:05 AM
Reply #2

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll post binaries as soon as I've managed to merge the changes from default in.
I'm currently living in a world with two Ogre versions, which feels like hell sometimes.

fusion44 on August 18, 2013, 03:41:09 PM
Reply #3

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, I've merged the changes in but I can't compile at the moment as some things are still unimplemented for Linux.
I can commit the merge if you want, but I couldn't test it. I have one really strange mercurial problem on windows which prevents me from merging it there, sorry.

There's a stub in guslib's timer (nice name btw ^^) for Linux, but then again we would still need a MAC implementation too.
I think the best option would be to use Ogre's equivalents when available, like for the timer which frees us from implementing it ourselfs.

Dratz-_C on August 18, 2013, 09:46:16 PM
Reply #4

Dratz-_C

Hi Folks,
Seeing "Chris' tracks" in dezGusty's post made me feel needed so I have made progress on my first track.
Cheers

dezGusty on August 19, 2013, 02:03:11 PM
Reply #5

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hey Dratz,
it sounds good :-)

The instrumentation or tonality seems to be a bit different from the rest of the tracks (or the configuration of the echo/chamber), so it can be easily noticed that it is different if we bundle it with other existing tracks. But on the plus side, it's a great loop, so it can run on its own  ;D

I like it.

fusion44 on August 19, 2013, 04:52:55 PM
Reply #6

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sounds very nice! I think this track would also fit very nicely to a short video trailer.

dezGusty on August 19, 2013, 10:41:01 PM
Reply #7

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
I updated the gussoundtest branch. It makes use of the Ogre Timer by default now.

fusion44 on August 20, 2013, 11:28:22 AM
Reply #8

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks. I'll try it when I get home.

Dratz-_C on August 25, 2013, 02:50:46 AM
Reply #9

Dratz-_C

For my first track, "Prevail," I can place the listener closer to the percussion to capture the on-the-stage, then-hear-the-tail style reverberation already in the game. For the way it is now, I was remembering how giant the percussion reverberation was in some battle tracks in "Diablo" 1. Where it is good for a trailer, that's fine. When I have time amidst my college classes, I will get you a dryer version to evaluate for inclusion in the game itself.
Cheers

Dratz-_C on September 06, 2013, 01:51:30 AM
Reply #10

Dratz-_C

Hi Folks,
I finished changing the reverberation of the percussion to put the listener closer to the performance stage rather than way in the back as in the short-trailer version, 0.7.0.0. "Prevail" version 0.7.0.2 should be more useful beside the present music in "Summoning Wars," itself.
Cheers