Topic: Startup crash after compiling from source

Spekkie on May 01, 2013, 06:27:02 PM

Spekkie

• View Profile
Hi,

I intend to use this game for a school project I'm working on, but in order to do that I need to be able to compile and run from source. The compilation so far works without errors, but the game is crashing as soon as I try to start it and I'm kinda lost at the moment...

I cloned the sourcecode from this location a week ago or so: https://bitbucket.org/sumwars/sumwars-code
and I'm using the following dependecies:
- boost_1_53_0
- CEGUI-0.7.5 (from deps package)
- freealut-1.1.0-bin (from deps package)
- libogg-1.3.0
- libvorbis-1.3.3
- lua-5.1.4 (from deps package)
- OgreSDK_vc10_v1-7-4
- OpenAL 1.1 SDK (from deps package)
- PhysicsFS (from deps package)
- poco-1.4.0 (from deps package)
- GnuWin32

I'm using VS 2012 with the 2010 toolset on windows 7 x64 SP1
Like I said, I don't get compile errors but the game just crashes at startup...

Could you guys please give me some insight in what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
  • Read 3914 times
  • Category Help
Comments: 10

fusion44 on May 01, 2013, 08:30:43 PM
Reply #1

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Spekkie,

did you also run the install step? I suppose you're missing some dll files in your working folder.
You can run the programm through the dependency walker and see whats missing: http://www.dependencywalker.com/
And please make sure to install the OpenAL binaries using the installer from here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/developer/Wiki/OpenAL%20Installer%20for%20Windows.aspx

If I may ask, what is this school project about?

fusion44
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:33:05 PM by fusion44 »

Spekkie on May 02, 2013, 08:55:21 AM
Reply #2

Spekkie

• View Profile
Heey Fusion44,

thanks for your reply. I've run dependencywalker and it missed some dll's, but I have no idea how to fix that since they're supposed to be windows dll's as far as I can see...
The .dwi file is to large for an attachment, so you can download it here.

About my project: Our university developed an AI language (2APL) and as a proof of concept I'm planning to change this game to make use of this AI.
Ultimately I'm going to generalize it, so it can be used with Ogre in general, but that highly depends on my findings and how everything turns out :)

Spekkie

dezGusty on May 02, 2013, 09:57:42 AM
Reply #3

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
@Spekkie: sounds interessting :D

You may have an issue with the installed DirectX version.
Just edit the [plugins.cfg] and [ogre.cfg] files. If you remove the Direct3D  specific entries and you are able to run the game, that's the cause.

You should find these files in the [.sumwars] folder, which is either in the game's dir (for the portable version), or in the [%userprofile%] dir (for the install version). Depends on how you configured the CMAKE options.

A second set of things to check are the Visual Studio redistributables. If you're using a Visual Studio Express edition, make sure you also have the SP1 installed.

Good luck,
dezGusty

Spekkie on May 03, 2013, 09:17:01 AM
Reply #4

Spekkie

• View Profile
Hey dezGusty,

De pre-compiled dowload of version 0.5.6 works just fine, so if something would have been wrong with my directX  shouldn't that cause a problem for the pre-compiled version as well?

Still I did try and removed the entries, but still got the same problem...

One thing I also noticed though is that I'm compiling version 0.5.7...
I've made another checkout with version 0.5.6 but then I get compile errors as shown in the attached text file...

dezGusty on May 03, 2013, 10:45:57 AM
Reply #5

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
The error you're getting is coming from a different version of the vorbis lib (libvorbisfile i believe). If you also link to libvorbisfile, it should work. The dependency package comes with an older version than the current libvorbis release. I would still recommend trying Sumwars 0.5.7 instead of 0.5.6.

You are right when saying that it's not a directX issue, if it works with the precompiled version.

Looking at the logs in more detail, it fails after it finishes with the GUI initialization. Can you try updating the CEGUI library to a newer version? (I for one have not tried the old 0.7.5 version for Sumwars 0.5.7). Maybe there's something different under the hood that we failed to notice.

fusion44 on May 03, 2013, 09:34:59 PM
Reply #6

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll provide a new precompiled package with the next release. I'll create and upload it this weekend. Maybe this will help solve this issues.

Spekkie on May 04, 2013, 01:23:44 PM
Reply #7

Spekkie

• View Profile
Hi guys,

thanks for all the help! After changing to CEGUI 0.7.9 it finally works with openGL. DirectX still gives problems though, but this will have to do for now.
I'll try again when the precompiled dependencies show up online :)

If you're interested I'll keep you posted with my project progress.

fusion44 on May 04, 2013, 05:26:29 PM
Reply #8

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Spekkie,

of course we're interested in any progress! If you want you can also join us in our IRC meeting tomorrow where we'll release the next official version.

Btw, have you confirmed with your university about the GPL license release of the source? Sumwars is GPL licensed, so any changes to the sumwars source need to be released too.
I'd love to have this project integrated, but better be safe than sorry :)

protogenes on May 06, 2013, 09:29:37 AM
Reply #9

protogenes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Spekkie,

a good AI system sounds like a nice addition. Especially if you take into account that sumwars itself began as university project.  :D
But I can't find any license information for the downloads :(
Another question came up, when I noticed APAPL is written in Java: are you going to port it to C++?
And last but not least: after you finish your university project, you are still going to support the code changes in sumwars, aren't you? :)

protogenes

Spekkie on May 06, 2013, 11:16:07 AM
Reply #10

Spekkie

• View Profile
Hi Spekkie,

a good AI system sounds like a nice addition. Especially if you take into account that sumwars itself began as university project.  :D
But I can't find any license information for the downloads :(
Another question came up, when I noticed APAPL is written in Java: are you going to port it to C++?
And last but not least: after you finish your university project, you are still going to support the code changes in sumwars, aren't you? :)

protogenes

The direct download is the precompiled jar file. You have to checkout the source from SVN... If you follow the instructions here (on windsows) it should work... (I only used windows so I wouldn't know about linux).
As for the coupling, I intend to use JNI (jave native interface) for communication between java and C++. I also need to modify 2APL a bit to use it, but the aim is that you don't need to compile 2apl itself, just create some config files which describe the desired behavior and do some stuff in C++ to make use of the precompiled 2APL platform.

As for the sourcecode, my intention for this project is to set up a test environment where the old and new AI battle against each other, since I need some kind of experiment. Still I intend to write a tutorial of how to integrate 2APL in your C++ project. But that all very much depends if the project is successful...