Topic: Graphics repo conversion .mb->.blend

Pappe on January 26, 2013, 07:38:23 PM

Pappe

• View Profile
Hi basicly I started the conversion of the Maya .mb files in the Maya Stuff\SingleObjectMB folder of the SVN-Repostitory. I will eventually update this thread as I convert more files. I will upload the .blend files once I have a bunch of them and a safe option to store them permanently. Right now I don't know how to convert animated models yet. I guess I have to figure something out...
If you want to know how to convert the models or want to convert some yourself, please sent me a pm so we don't convert the same model multiple times.

axe2HLean.mb
axe2HStand.mb
barrel1.mb
barrel2.mb
barrel3.mb
barrel4.mb
barrel_m1.mb
barricade1.mb
barricade_m1.mb
barricade_s1.mb
barricade_t1.mb
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:40:09 PM by Pappe »
  • Read 2159 times
  • Category Graphics
Comments: 3

dezGusty on January 27, 2013, 08:52:29 AM
Reply #1

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Pappe, that's great start! Is the conversion complex, or can it be generalized?

Pappe on January 27, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
Reply #2

Pappe

• View Profile
Well I batch exported the models from the .mb format to .obj. That was easy. The problem is that now I have to import the models into Blender one at another. I also noticed several problems.

1: Either the conversion or the import seems to mess up the materials. The diffuse texture is duplicated and has to be deleted (I think so at least. Maybe thats no Problem at all.) Also the Path to the texture is reset to the folder where the converted .obj file is and has to be reset manually. Maybe I can fix that. I'll fiddle around a bit with this one.
Also the UVs are messed up sometimes. Normally, some islands just moved a little bit or the scale is a little bit off. But sometimes it's clearly visible.

2: So far no animations. Either the animations are not imported to blender or the conversion to .obj is faulty. I think this might have to do with the fact, that the models are of course IK rigged. I'd guess I have to come up with another way, maybe the .fbx format. I'll suspend animations for now.

3: Not really a Problem. The model is of course split to triangles.

So unless someone comes up with a blender script, that looks for the .obj file, imports it, deletes the duplicated texture, sets the correct path and saves after that, we have to convert each file individually. About 280 files...
So unless that happens. Is someone willing to help a bit with the conversion the next month or so. If we split it up and everyone makes like 20-30 models a week, we'll be finished in no time.

I would upload the .obj files somewhere and whoever wants to help can download them and somehow mark what models they've converted. That leads to the next problem. Where can I upload it safely (eg no filehoster)?

Could someone test, if the model is working correctly when exported from Blender again?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:09:45 PM by Pappe »

dezGusty on January 27, 2013, 06:32:12 PM
Reply #3

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Ok, so a manual operation for now.

Can anyone else from our artist help out with this topic?

I would suggest updating the binary data to the SVN repository. (We no longer use it for the code updates, now it's only for art).
Have you tried using it? Do you have a sourceforge account so that we can give you write access?

I can't help out with testing the new model right now.