Topic: UI refresh

dezGusty on January 06, 2013, 01:33:47 PM

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Jorge,

I know you had some plans to update the Summoning Wars GUI before things got... quieter. Are you still interested in updating the UI?
I can help this time, as I played around with CEGUI in the mean time. Maybe you've seen one of my works (http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6006).

I would like to create a new theme taking design elements from the current Summoning Wars theme, some from the GlossySerpent theme, changing others to make it more consistent and releasing it to the world for use (and also using it in Summoning Wars).
Are you interested ? You can PM me, reply in this thread, etc.

See you around :)
dezGusty
  • Read 10911 times
  • Category Graphics
Comments: 32

poVoq on January 06, 2013, 06:01:02 PM
Reply #1

poVoq

• View Profile
Sounds good.

There are also these nice UI files posted on OGA recently that would make for a great CGUI theme:
http://opengameart.org/content/ui-resources
http://opengameart.org/content/inventory-ui

dezGusty on January 06, 2013, 07:15:48 PM
Reply #2

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hmm... that is looking quite nice poVoq.

Quite similar in style with some early takes on the Diablo 3 UI :-)

fusion44 on January 06, 2013, 11:21:18 PM
Reply #3

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm all for it :)
The current ui has some shortcomings like the labels being cut of in some languages in the character screens and the character screen and the inventory is basically a big hack :)

Jorge Avila on January 09, 2013, 09:35:18 PM
Reply #4

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
 ;D Go for it.

That diablo thing that povoq posted is good enough to start working.
They are simple, that's good. And could be attached to the edges of the screen with no problem.

I'll bring you all the help i can =).

Can we request you some stuff to be done, related to cegui programming?

dezGusty on January 10, 2013, 01:12:50 PM
Reply #5

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Well, so far I got to be somewhat versed when it comes to the use of XML definitions. I think I also have a solution to the stretched aspect of the GUI.
But I will want either a collaboration, or some feedback/review of the images used in the theme.

Do you have the source files for the images that are currently used in the UI by any chance? DO you have any ideas for buttons for a look and feel based on the links that poVoq posted?

I am busy today and tomorrow (ski and some meetings), so I'll start working on it on Saturday.

poVoq on January 10, 2013, 04:16:33 PM
Reply #6

poVoq

• View Profile
I would also contact the guy who originally did those UI graphics (contact is possible via OGA)... he seems to be still working on those and probably as buttons and the like already in the pipeline.

Pappe on January 25, 2013, 11:28:36 PM
Reply #7

Pappe

• View Profile
This isn't really a priority right now, but the UI is certainly the most seen element of the game so improving it is never in vain. I would definitively lend a hand. I did a RTS-UI once, well just the graphics. I think we can definitively improve it.

For documentation purposes, we should make a step by step guide on how to manipulate the UI and explain every parameter of all the text files involved so others will have no problems tuning in, should one of us leave the project at some point. What do you think?

Where excactly should we start?

EDIT:
BTW: The inventory from OGA (http://opengameart.org/content/inventory-ui) isn't usable because of license issues. I also attached the source (.psd) of this one http://opengameart.org/content/ui-resources. Just in case we decide to go for this style.
We can't use the font, it's not open source, but that's not really a problem. Also the buttons and the background are simple graphics and just a matter of minutes. We can do that ourselfes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:35:41 AM by Pappe »

dezGusty on January 26, 2013, 12:20:24 AM
Reply #8

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Pappe, nice to see you so active :-)

I agree that the UI is not a high priority right now. But for different reasons: I would like the CEGUI 1.0 release to come first, so that an UI update would also involve bringing our lib up to date.

Documenting the UI in its current state would have ... limited benefits, as it consists of many "hacked" items. I would suggest documenting it thoroughly when redesigning it.

Btw: About the licensing: the OGA inventory would only be used as an inspiration, not taken as it is in its entirety. So all files would be recreated by me/us.

Do you have some screenshots for the RTS UI?

Where excactly should we start?
Coming up with some ideas for some basic style decisions:
- light / plain / dark feel
- fully opaque / translucent (semi-transparent) / transparent or mixed
- general contrast between widgets, colour variety.
- corner styles consistent across most widgets: sharp vs rounded edges. Ideas how these would fit into most widgets: windows, buttons.

Here is how I would like to have the UI:
- A dark feel (darker than what is found now).
- Mixed widget transparency: some parts (mostly background) semi-transparent. Other parts (mostly buttons), fully opaque.
- More colour variety than now. But not by much.
- I would like sharp edges and simple (mostly rectangular) widgets.

Do you have time to be on IRC tomorrow afternoon? (16:00, GMT + 1)? We could discuss for about an hour more in-depth.

Pappe on January 26, 2013, 01:28:11 AM
Reply #9

Pappe

• View Profile
Do you have some screenshots for the RTS UI?

I don't think so.. But even if I had some I couldn't show them, unfortunately. It was for a post apocalyptic futuristic RTS.

Do you have any infos regarding the release date of CEGUI 1.0.0? After a quick search of the forum I found none. I agree that codewise we shouldn't change anything, since the API might/will change with the 1.0.0 release, but graphicswise we should prepare some work. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
Also since our next release will probably contain UI updates we should use this opportunity to anounce it here http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4844 .
(Actually we should anounce the 0.5.7 release there.)

Unfortunately my weekends are really planned out. Best days for me would be monday or wednesday evening. Maybe sunday as well, but I can't promise anything. But I can say that I won't have time tomorrow.

- A dark feel (darker than what is found now). I can agree to this. I would prefer dark reddish or brownish tones.
- Mixed widget transparency: some parts (mostly background) semi-transparent. Other parts (mostly buttons), fully opaque.  I don't like that. I would prefer a completely opaque GUI. The background should either be a very subtle leathery or papyrus like look.
- More colour variety than now. But not by much.    I would add a subtle dark green, but just because that's my favourite color. :)
- I would like sharp edges and simple (mostly rectangular) widgets.  I don't like sharp edges, they don't fit with the medieval fantasy setting, I think. But the widgets can be rectangular. That would make things way easier.

fusion44 on January 26, 2013, 04:31:25 PM
Reply #10

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please consider different languages for the UI. At the moment we have problems with cut off text in some areas, like the character status screen.
Also I'd like to restrict certain characters in user names for obvious reasons ^^ (I'll tackle this one)

Look at this screen:
http://www.malwasandres.net/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=34a447e3d2ee73ba83c2ecb934681bc0

dezGusty on January 29, 2013, 01:55:10 PM
Reply #11

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hello guys,

This is a summary of what we decided on the topic of a UI refresh during a chat on 2013.01.17 (sunday) evening.

1. dezGusty will create a separate project for a new UI (CEGUI skin).
Details:
- The skin will be started as a spin-off of the GlossySerpent skin.
- The skin will be consisting of (mostly) simple widgets that can be combined to produce more complex layouts.
- The skin will be started for CEGUI 0.7. When CEGUI 1.0 is completed, the skin can be adapted using a manual process.
- The skin will use a permissive license (MIT license). This will allow it to be used in other games as well and can encourage contributions to it.
2. The skin will be created and updated first, then the skin will be integrated in Summoning Wars.
- An update of the current layouts used in Summoning Wars will be performed to also try to take into account the various aspect ratios and to switch from TaharezLook to the new Skin. A new named branch (ui-update-skins) will be created for it by dezGusty.
The ones that have shown interesst in contributig so far are:
- dezGusty
- Pappe

3. No name has been chosen as of yet for the skin. What follows are my suggestions for the name of the skin. Other suggestions are welcome.
- "Dark Summoning". Would imply that we need to use a dark theme. Summoning would suggest the relationship with "Summoning Wars".  (Edited: just noticed there is a game with that name).
- "Forged Hero". Would imply a metal look (forged). Would imply a connection with Role playing games, where you have a "hero".
- "Resummoned". Implies connection with the game. And allows freedom of style afterwards.
dezGusty out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:35:10 PM by dezGusty »

dezGusty on February 01, 2013, 06:24:53 PM
Reply #12

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hello guys,

as I received no feedback on the name, I went ahead and chose "Resummoned" as the name of the new skin.

I've already set up the project page on sourceforge.net, so if anyone wants to help out... please make sure you have a sourceforge account (or openID, google, etc to log onto sourceforge).
For the time being the only way to access the pictures is to use the SVN repository (https://sourceforge.net/p/resummoned/code/3/tree/)

dezGusty on February 05, 2013, 12:23:28 AM
Reply #13

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Just so that you know that there is work being done in the background :-)
I recently updated the GlossySerpent skin to also have a higher resolution version. I plan to use that as the basis of the Resummoned skin.
I will commit the changes to the new repository tomorrow.

dezGusty on February 11, 2013, 06:22:40 PM
Reply #14

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

just a minor update: I managed to get the new skin partially implemented (currently only shown as an example in this picture: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byx-8I_NSC6-LXpHU3NPbGRSTHc/edit?usp=sharing )
In addition, I also managed to get the UI to keep track of the aspect ratio. This can be seen in the two extreme instances:
- aspect ratio 16:9 (1920x1080) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byx-8I_NSC6-bU5JZDA4Wkk1RVE/edit?usp=sharing
- aspect ratio 5:4 (1280x1024) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byx-8I_NSC6-YTlIekk5NHk4ODA/edit?usp=sharing

I'll keep you posted on the progress :)