Topic: [Resolved: Ad dns suspended] (SourceForge ad virus [now gone])

Dratz-_C on April 01, 2012, 09:20:52 PM

Dratz-_C

[I contacted the dns manager, Josh in charge of the advertisement dns. The manager e-mailed me back saying that the dns (http://adsvirginmobile.com) has been suspended. He thanked me for the note. Now that the ad virus is gone from SourceForge no-one has anything to worry about.]
Hi,
I decided to download the latest version and upgrade from 0.5.5. I received a virus warning from my antivirus program, Avast: Free Edition. Avast has been right for me in a previous case, even when Norton, McAfee and AVG Free antivurus programs all cleared it. I reported that previous case it as a false positive...but it turned out that Avast was right. Thusly, I wanted to let you know about this anomaly as soon as I found it.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:44:06 PM by Dratz-_C »
  • Read 3471 times
  • Category Bug Reports
Comments: 7

dezGusty on April 02, 2012, 05:58:22 AM
Reply #1

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Wait, are you sure this is related to the summoning wars download? I mean, I'm not accustomed to the Avast interface, but at the first glance, I would assume that the warning comes from an ad from sourceforge.

Would you please also run a scan on the zip archive?
Thanks!

greengecko on April 02, 2012, 11:38:38 AM
Reply #2

greengecko

• View Profile
Well I am using the free Avast aswell.
And I cannot reproduce your warning.
Download is fine, if I scan the sumwars folder no problems found aswell.

Dunno, but the date of post is curious to me ;)
Honestly, is this supposed to be some kind of april fool?

dezGusty on April 02, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
Reply #3

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile

Dratz-_C on April 02, 2012, 04:28:34 PM
Reply #4

Dratz-_C

No, that warning as an April-fools joke would have been a good one. I should have told you that I am trying to download the Windows portable version of 0.5.6. Here it is with another screen capture from a computer that has Avast: Pro antivirus.
Cheers

Dratz-_C on April 02, 2012, 04:41:37 PM
Reply #5

Dratz-_C

Hi again folks,
I tried the download a third time. The link loaded without incident, this time. I downloaded the file and scanned the zip and there is also no virus in it. It does appear that the Virgin Mobile advertisement is the culprit. At some point in the near future I should contact them.
Cheers

fusion44 on April 02, 2012, 05:57:06 PM
Reply #6

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, that warning is about a javascript downloader in an ad. It has nothing todo with the file itself (it can't know what virus could be in the zip when it didn't even start the download.

I have checked the file with two virus scanners (Microsoft and F-Secure) without a warning :)

Dratz-_C on April 03, 2012, 01:26:50 AM
Reply #7

Dratz-_C

Hi,
I e-mailed SourceForge and the address that I got from www.adsvirginmobile.com (adsvirginmobile.com gave me a blank page) about it because I don't want an advertisement that pops up from time to time with a virus disturbing potential Summoning Wars players. No, it has nothing to do with the Summoning Wars zip file itself.  :D (However, technically an antivirus program can redflag a file from basic attributes before one downloads it founded on previous data such as size, dates and internet address gathered from the user download database. Blah, blah, blah.... ::)) If SourceForge or virginmobile mails me back, I'll post about it.  ;D [The ad dns has been suspended. I updated the main thread title and the first post with the details.] 8)
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:47:17 PM by Dratz-_C »