Development > Story

Better distribution of the Backgroundstory

(1/3) > >>

protogenes:
Moved from http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=388

Many strings won't make sense by themselves. I'm sure you know that the context is important. Also many things are meant to be humorous.
Most of the contributors are neither native English speakers nor advanced in English language in an academical way.
For background information you may take a look at the [background] threads in the story board as this might give you some insight about the overall construction of the world and story. For any advanced discussion or feedback you might also want to talk to kalimgard as he wrote probably all of the story and dialogues so far.

Damien:

--- Quote from: protogenes on March 17, 2012, 02:05:47 PM ---Many strings won't make sense by themselves. I'm sure you know that the context is important.

--- End quote ---
I know, I was talking about things in context still not making sense.

--- Quote from: protogenes on March 17, 2012, 02:05:47 PM ---For background information you may take a look at the [background] threads in the story board as this might give you some insight about the overall construction of the world and story. For any advanced discussion or feedback you might also want to talk to kalimgard as he wrote probably all of the story and dialogues so far.
--- End quote ---
Well that shouldn't be needed. Why would you go to the forum to understand the game before actually playing it ? As it is now the story is confusing, at best.

--- Quote from: protogenes on March 17, 2012, 02:05:47 PM ---Most of the contributors are neither native English speakers nor advanced in English language in an academical way.
--- End quote ---
I can see that, and I don't want to rewrite the game just to be able to translate it.
So for now I'll hold back on translating it until this is improved.

protogenes:

--- Quote from: Damien on March 17, 2012, 03:20:43 PM ---I know, I was talking about things in context still not making sense.
--- End quote ---
No sense in context is bad. Please point out those parts you have encountered.

--- Quote from: Damien on March 17, 2012, 03:20:43 PM ---Well that shouldn't be needed. Why would you go to the forum to understand the game before actually playing it ? As it is now the story is confusing, at best.
--- End quote ---
That was for you as a translator to have additional information.

--- Quote from: Damien on March 17, 2012, 03:20:43 PM ---I can see that, and I don't want to rewrite the game just to be able to translate it.
So for now I'll hold back on translating it until this is improved.
--- End quote ---
That wasn't my point. I was hoping for you to be more precise and describe the problems or strings that need improvement.
As you are the first one who complains about it, we don't know where to improve.

Damien:

--- Quote from: protogenes on March 18, 2012, 01:34:49 AM ---No sense in context is bad. Please point out those parts you have encountered.
--- End quote ---
It's more about the general feel of it. I'm all for starting in medias res, but when I'm asking myself all along the tutorial "what are the characters talking about", that's going too far.
All this stuff about gods, branded ones, yadda yadda, it may make sense when you read the back story, but when you're just playing the game, you just get too little information.
The character you're playing seems to know all about it, but isn't explaining anything. The PC is supposed to represent the player, and you're supposed to know everything he knows. Here you and the character do not share a single thing.

What would work, I think, would be something along those lines : You start playing as a powerful, fully equipped warrior/mage/whatever, and you're fighting against one of those gods, or one of their most powerful followers. You lose, and next thing you know, you wake up, alive, in a prison cell. Here, someone explains to you that you are now a branded one (or whatever) and starting from there you have to learn everything anew.
That would work, because it would put you in the same position as the character, where you would know just as little as them.

Lastmerlin:
Ok, I can see you point. Although, I must say, its really the first time that such harsh criticism is expressed. So what may we change about it. The general criticism we usually receive is, that there is too much text. Therefore, adding a lot more additonal information at the start is rather a bad idea.
The central point is, that character and player knowledge do not match. I can see two ways to fix this: Either add more explanation at the start - or reduce the knowledge of the ingame character (lost his memory or whatever). I will discuss this with kalimgard, who is the master of the story.

You are right, that some changes are probable to happen, almost surely in the tutorial. If you still want to help with translations, you can just start with another file. Good choices are menu and sumwars (Gui labels and items names, skill names/descriptions) or willard.po (the first simple quest).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version