Topic: Aims for 0.5.1

Lastmerlin on May 16, 2010, 05:58:27 PM

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, I want to make a list of feature that are intended for 0.5.1.
Release is planned in two weeks approximately. As I have not dealt with a growing, international team, please give me some opinions and tell me, if these aims are realistic.

Must have:
Programming:
- Change dialog system not to use all four corners (was criticized by numerous players)
-  improved option save system
- Bugfixes - please report ALL glitches you can find !

Translation:
- complete english translation

Should have:
Programming:
- new system for translatable strings, that hides some tricks like the appended _solo (was criticized by users)

Graphics:
- Worldmap picture

Sound:
- incorporate new sounds (please give a a realistic estimate how many items of the list I posted can be realised)

Build:
- Mac version
- translation to cmake

Documentation:
- Documentation on all XML formats
- Documentation of most common use cases to test new content ingame

Could have:

Programming:
- Allow to set window size

Music:
- first piece of music (is this realistic ? )

Graphics:
- Start work on better skill pictures

Build:
- provide statically linked version for linux, especially link Raknet statically into the binary

Documentation:
- provide english doxygen documentation (huge task x( )

Overall:
The most important part is the translation. If this one is finished, I plan to release rather earlier than later. Everything else can be put in 0.5.2 without problems.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:30:07 PM by Lastmerlin »
  • Read 3730 times
  • Category General
Comments: 9

West on May 16, 2010, 07:28:54 PM
Reply #1

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='163' dateline='1274029107'

Music:
- first piece of music (is this realistic ? )

In two weeks? Not really. I'm not even halfway through the video music yet.

Lastmerlin on May 16, 2010, 07:31:46 PM
Reply #2

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, I have moved it to could have (which somehow means likely wont have ^^)
This is no problem, we can just release further versions as soon as we have the content.

West on May 16, 2010, 07:49:06 PM
Reply #3

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='171' dateline='1274034706'

Ok, I have moved it to could have (which somehow means likely wont have ^^)
This is no problem, we can just release further versions as soon as we have the content.

Well I'm not saying it's impossible, just don't hold your breath. I have a busy schedule the coming week but I will try and slot in as much music-making time as I can.

What's takes priority though? Video music or game music? If you really really want music in the next release I can put the video track on hold and focus on something for the game itself.

getter77 on May 17, 2010, 12:14:29 AM
Reply #4

getter77

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='163' dateline='1274029107'

Translation:
- complete english translation

Documentation:
- provide english doxygen documentation (huge task x( )

Overall:
The most important part is the translation. If this one is finished, I plan to release rather earlier than later. Everything else can be put in 0.5.2 without problems.

Well, for my part on future translation helping, there didn't seem to be TOO many quests still in German---nothing that terrifies me at the very least.  ;)

You may actually need someone fully bilingual/programming literate for this doxygen thing(I know nothing of it) unless I am somehow greatly overestimating it.  But obviously I will gladly take a crack at English documentation, like if you do a Manual file or some such, as time goes on as well as ingame English text.

Lastmerlin on May 17, 2010, 07:10:07 AM
Reply #5

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The doxygen docu will be made by me. Here, language skills are no problem as a documentation does not require high-level language use (in contrast to some storywriting). It must be done by someone who knows the code and can explain what all the functions and data fields should do. Logical consequence is, that I must do this.

Lastmerlin on May 24, 2010, 09:15:21 PM
Reply #6

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Announcement:
I will release 0.5.1 next week between wednesday and friday.

All must-have feature are already complete.
Should-have feature also look very promising:
- excellent Worldmap draft has been posted (psycho is working on that)
- we have tons of new sound content, but it has to be categorized and included into the game
- I think I have finally convinced crimson_pinguin, to start working on the mac build. He said he will try to get it completed by wednesday next week. Well, lets hope ^^
- I hope that I will get around to work on a few more points people critizised, including the listed improved translation system.

artisticdude on May 25, 2010, 12:47:04 PM
Reply #7

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
  • Sound Effects Guy/Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
Excellent! Especially the news about the mac build! :) Thank you crimson_penguin!
Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.
                                                              --Michelangelo

getter77 on May 25, 2010, 06:07:34 PM
Reply #8

getter77

• View Profile
Very nice, looking forward to the continuing development.  Congrats to all on their hard work!

Lastmerlin on June 02, 2010, 07:43:42 AM
Reply #9

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I had a look at the list right now and noticed, that progress on the should have feature was a bit slower than I hoped for. Please share all work currently on forums so that it can be put into the game. Many things are already done, but I am not sure if the latest version of some content is online.

I still intend to release on Friday, but I may postpone it to Sunday as well, more precisely I will wait for the worldmap and the mac build till sunday.

For programming: The only further change apart from bugfixes I will probably do before 0.5.1 is putting in a few lines, that crop the _solo in dialogs as a temporary solution. Please test the changes, especially the new target selection system. What do you think, should I release a pre-release for those contributors who are not using svn build ?