Topic: Help Wanted!

protogenes on December 02, 2011, 07:50:39 PM

protogenes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have had some thoughts about what Summoning Wars needs from a Meta View of the development... What is needed to make development and community efficient and appealing. So this is the list I came up with, feel free to comment if you think something is missing or wrong.
  • Wiki
    • I have installed the wiki but we need content.
    • We need more contributors for this.
    • Build instructions need updating.
    • Game documentation, code, scripting, content, infrastructure (what goes where and in which format)
    • graphic requirements (format, standards, tutorials, animations, needed bones and anchors)
    • Coding guidelines will become rather important when there are more and more contributors
    • Everyone in the forum may become a Wiki Editor, just PM me or write a comment below. Maybe i should make wiki writeable for everyone registered here? Feedback wanted.
  • Bugtracker
    • Goals for the next 1+ Versions
    • Moderators who check for duplicates and help to assign and categorize reports.
  • Forum
    • Moderators, please let us know in which board you feel comfortable and how much time you want to invest each week.
    • Forum rules
  • Repository
    • It needs a cleanup and organization...
    • Housekeeping is necessary from time to time. We need to identify and delete everything not compatible with our licenses. This is a sensible topic and doesn't allow any further delay.
    • Unneeded leftovers need to be removed too. (/lib/ for example? some outdated scripts or those for personal use too.
      If they shall persist find a way to organize and document them.)
    • Everything related to packaging and distribution shall be inside /packaging/ and an appropriate subdirectory.
    • The /doc/ needs to be updated, purged from outdated information and migrated into the wiki. Help wanted
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:20:48 PM by protogenes »
  • Read 2671 times
  • Category General
Comments: 6

KroArtem on December 02, 2011, 08:26:21 PM
Reply #1

KroArtem

• View Profile
Re Bugtracker: if you have a good plan what to do next (roadmap) then there is no need for moderators that have to look at duplicate tickets. For 4-5 developers it's possible to do that stuff by themselves as they know better when this or that feature should be added or a bug fixed. Just my 2 cents :)

greengecko on December 03, 2011, 08:21:06 PM
Reply #2

greengecko

• View Profile
Everyone in the forum may become a Wiki Editor, just PM me or write a comment below. Maybe i should make wiki writeable for everyone registered here? Feedback wanted.

No, please not.
That´s too risky IMO.
Who wants to work on it and who has the requirements to do so will ask anyway I guess.

Moderators, please let us know in which board you feel comfortable and how much time you want to invest each week.

Does that mean you seek forum moderators or do I misunderstand you?

Lastmerlin on December 04, 2011, 11:34:05 PM
Reply #3

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Of course you are absolutely right - I will start creating the wiki structure as soon as possible. Several chunks of information already exist - for instance some (perhaps rather incomplete) coding rules. In other departments, I will rely on other contributors to fill the content. Obviously, its pointless if I define how to share modelling raw (source) files for instance.

In general for wiki content: Writing this is a lot of work - work we should share. I will start with creating the structure - and ask for help filling it afterwards.

Lastmerlin on December 06, 2011, 11:56:00 PM
Reply #4

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, I have started with reorganizing the Contibute page:

http://sumwars.org/wiki/Contribute

Apparently, there are a lot of content missing yet. I will take care of  the Programmer's guide. In fact, I have already created a first draft and some coding guidelines.
http://sumwars.org/wiki/Programming_Standards

Now, we need something similar for several other departments. This is work I can not do - defining standards and rules for models or music is just not my job. Apart from that, I dont want to do it :P . So please sign up, who takes care of which section.

Moreover, I have created a starting point of the general wiki manual for Summoning Wars:
http://sumwars.org/wiki/In-Game_Content
Player love such stuff. A big compendium where you can see all the scary monsters you have not killed yet and all the fantastic items you still have to acquire. Of course, its completely empty so far. This will be a lot of work to complete - I am aware of this. But we dont need to get this completed very fast - perhaps we can just chew it down piecewise if everyone contributes a bit occasionally.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:16:42 AM by protogenes »

qubodup on July 06, 2012, 08:50:46 PM
Reply #5

qubodup

• View Profile
    • qubodup.net
It's impossible to log into the wiki it seems, so nobody can edit it right now(?)

protogenes on May 06, 2013, 09:19:16 AM
Reply #6

protogenes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oops, I somehow didn't see this post.

It is possible to log into the Wiki. The condition is that you must be allowed to do so. If you want to contribute, ask a forum admin (fusion or myself) to grant you rights to edit the Wiki.
This decision was made to prevent SPAM in the Wiki. We could allow general access for Forum members, tho.
Anyway, someone rather wanted to use the Wiki hosted at bitbucket?