Topic: Goblin raid [add-on]

greengecko on November 15, 2011, 08:17:18 PM

greengecko

• View Profile
So here we got another sidequest for the existing storyline :)
Think we should have enough now.
But I´m not really sure if you like this one..
Please tell me what you think.

The goblin´s training camps

On our way to Joringsbridge we cross the Aisener meadow. We come from northwest and for our main way we just take the path out in the north. But if we go southwest we find a goblin training camp. We´re just right for the teacher´s introduction to the new students. They haven´t seen us yet. We get two options for what to do next:

a) Listen carefully and collect information before we attack
b) Attack immediately

If we choose a):
We hide behind a barrel near the training camp. Through the teacher´s talk we get to know that they are trained for pilgering human cities. After the training they will split up all over the country and bring terror to the human cities of Aisen. We also find out that this is only a sidecamp. There is another one (the main camp) in the northeast of the meadow. When the lesson starts we attack and kill all the goblins. The teacher is the mighty shaman Brec, who is well known for his mighty lightning spells. After killing him we see some goblin hiding behind another barrel. He´s shivering and seems not to be evil. We decide to have mercy and not to kill him. He tells us where the second (and main) camp is located: In the northeast of the meadow. We decide to go look for it.

If we choose b):
We attack the camp, kill all the goblins (also the little peaceful one) and the shaman (Brec). Afterwards we take a little monologue. That was too easy and it feels like there is was just a little sidecamp. We decide to search around to look for a greater camp.

When we finally arrive in the northeast of the map we decide to look out for the second camp, our instinct says us, that it must be somewhere here. After looking around a bit we soon find it. We decide not to lose any time and attack immediately. After killing all the numberous goblins the camp is empty. We decide to reward ourselves for a well done job. We take all the stuff we can find in the camp: We steal all the gold and equipment that´s hidden in some barrels and some huge chests.

But after that we remember something: The other camp had a leader. This one didn´t.. Or at least he was not here during our attack. And as we turn around and wanna leave the leader appears.. It´s a huge goblin holding a sword, the well known and dreaded Rupert. Without talking it comes to a fight. He is angry because we killed all his goblin soldiers. After a rough fight we again gain some gold and finally finished the quest.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:01:54 PM by greengecko »
  • Read 3385 times
  • Category Story
Comments: 8

kalimgard on November 16, 2011, 11:22:52 AM
Reply #1

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This quest can work, but it needs a little work.

Goblins have no training camps as it is. They are a primitive tribal society, where you pick up things as you grow up... if you don't die trying. So this would rather be a war camp then a training camp.

There's also no way of listening in on goblin briefings. They don't speak english (or whatever language the game is set to), but their own language. If they spoke english it would be a lot like french soldiers invading China and then speak chinese during their stay, which they don't even have that many people who understand it.

Goblins do have, on the other hands, simple tactical plans they like to draw on leather hides. This quest would actually fit in well with the goblin raid quest. Attacking Joringsbridge is no easy feat for a single tribe, so they could be working together.

I allready spoke about the locating problem for things like encampments. It would be better to put the main camp in the next region to  make sure it is "north" of the first one. And you have to think about what happens when the players miss the first camp and stumble into the second.

greengecko on November 16, 2011, 04:00:23 PM
Reply #2

greengecko

• View Profile
Ok kalimgard and i worked out the following changes:

This is just an add-on to the goblin´s raid quest.
There are no training camps and the goblins do not speak english.

The goblin "temple" we find in the raid quest is theoretically the "side camp".
We hide behind a tree and see two messenger goblins walking away from the temple.
Then we attack and kill all the goblins. Afterwards we have a little monologue about that we think this was too easy and there must be more because there were messengers. We decide to search around a bit. The second "camp" is on the meadow: This one is greater, there are much more goblins. They are sitting round a campfire. We arrive just in time and see the two messengers arriving. Now we decide to attack and clear this place from the goblins. After doing so we take all the equipment we find in the chests and the huge sword goblin appears. After killing him we get some gold and the quest is done.

If we find the greater camp before the goblin temple the following will happen:
We won´t see any messengers arrive, but we will clear the camp, take the equipment and kill the huge sword goblin. Afterwards there are two messengers coming and as they see us and the empty camp they run away. We have a monologue about that there must be something more, because of the messengers. We decide to look around. After finding the temple we see the two messengers arrive, attack and clear the temple and the quest´s done.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:56:20 PM by greengecko »

greengecko on December 10, 2011, 09:30:14 PM
Reply #3

greengecko

• View Profile
Ok, what do you think of this dialouge?

If we find the side camp first:

Finding the side camp:

You: Hm.. This looks like a goblin camp. But why are there 2 goblins running away? Anyway, let´s clear it!

After clearing the side camp:

You: There must be more. The battle plans.. And the 2 goblins. I think they are messengers or something like that. I´ll have to look around.

Finding the main camp:

You: Ah, there we got our messengers. Another camp to clear.. I hope, this is the last one.

After clearing the main camp:

You: {1} Let´s reward ourselves.. I see some chests round here. Let´s have a look what´s inside of them.

After taking all the stuff:

You: Oh no, goblin daddy has arrived. And he looks angry. Well, then this shall be the last fight in this goblin camp business.

If we find the main camp first:

Finding the main camp:

You: Hm.. This looks like a goblin camp. Let´s clear it!

After clearing the main camp:

You: see {1}

After taking all the stuff:

You: Oh no, a angry goblin! I´m shivering!

After seeing the messengers running away:

You: Hm. There must be more, I guess those 2 goblins are messengers. Let´s look around.

Finding the side camp and seeing the two messengers arrive:

You: There we got our messengers. Let´s clear this place.

After clearing the side camp:

[monolouge about battleplans]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:54:52 PM by greengecko »

kalimgard on December 13, 2011, 08:40:56 PM
Reply #4

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's okay, but I have concerns with the use of "Goblin Daddy", even if it is ironic. Maybe this could be defused by adding a second Partymember saying something like "I feel the same. See how I'm shivering?" with an evil grin.

dezGusty on December 13, 2011, 08:46:52 PM
Reply #5

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Worried about puns like "who's your goblin daddy?" :)

kalimgard on December 13, 2011, 11:34:36 PM
Reply #6

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just a bit ;)
Where the Branded Ones are concerned, sarcastic, ironic and even funny is okay, but ridiculous is not.

greengecko on December 20, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
Reply #7

greengecko

• View Profile
Edited it.
This one better?

kalimgard on December 24, 2011, 09:35:59 AM
Reply #8

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, and thank you :) If we do this with the right emotion picture, it should be very clear :)