Topic: Been a while...

West on September 04, 2011, 07:54:03 PM

West

• View Profile
Hey all, been a while.

Even though I check the forum regularly it's been forever since I posted anything (not counting the ambience pieces from earlier this year). But I'm not dead, and I haven't given up.

It's just that the last year's been a rough ride for me and during this time it seems I have lost my ability to compose. Or at least I've lost all faith in my abilities. Everything I try sounds like crap and I don't think I've written so many mediocre 30-second snippets since I started out doing this kind of music. I'm simply going nowhere and I have actually been thinking about giving up orchestral music altogether.

Still, it's a style of music I enjoy immensely so I keep trying. Hopefully I'll be out of this rut eventually. And if/when that happens, Summoning Wars is still first priority for me. I won't blame you if you decide to find some other main composer/music director though :P

Keep up the good work everyone.
  • Read 3262 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 5

fusion44 on September 04, 2011, 08:20:50 PM
Reply #1

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
West, no problem. At the moment development is going really slow on all departments :/ We all need a creative regeneration phase from time to time, especially because all we do is for free and for fun :)

Dratz-_C on September 05, 2011, 08:13:30 PM
Reply #2

Dratz-_C

Welcome, West. I have been checking the forum regularly, also. It has been a long time since I posted anything, but I haven't given up, either. I have been having fun playing games, watching walkthroughs of other games on youtube, and making maps for a shooting game that aren't of any consequence.
Remember that percussion stuff you added to my tiny piece? I wonder if you would be interested in working with me on that. I am getting a little overwhelmed with using synthfont for the sections and one less of the four for me to worry about would really help me. I think it sounded good and that there's no need to reinvent the wheel. (From what I have read, Hans Zimmer is famous for working with other composers in Remote Control Productions and vied for the Academy Awards to count the people he worked with in the official credit for the movie, The Dark Night [and they did in order to be able to award the movie at all].) Other people work together, and I think that it is practical and bears no shame.
I still enjoy this style of music, too. I'm glad you still want to work on Summoning Wars and that helps motivate me to do so too. We can't get rid of you; we would miss you too much. (It is not as if I have an important say in the matter, though.)
Cheers

KroArtem on September 05, 2011, 09:09:40 PM
Reply #3

KroArtem

• View Profile
to West and Dratz-_C:
I'd be glad to hear your new music in Summoning wars, there were no fresh updates in music recently :/

Dratz-_C on September 05, 2011, 11:37:27 PM
Reply #4

Dratz-_C

KroArtem,
I made 15 seconds of progress on the brass section a few months ago. I have posted that part paired with with the old strings and woodwinds and provided a link to the FLAC. I have done this in case you were interested in hearing them together. ( http://www.sumwars.org/module/forum/showthread.php?tid=214 .)
Cheers

Lastmerlin on September 13, 2011, 10:42:11 AM
Reply #5

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
From me as well: Welcome back, West :)

I am very glad to see you back here. In fact, I often saw you in ICQ and were tempted to ask if you are still in and hesitated to to so each time. I believe that even with some (temporarily; hopefully) creative exhaustion you are still a very valuable team member and music director. What would we do without your precise judgement and pinpoint criticism ? Admittedly, we should try to recruit some more musicians whose work require some judgement .D

Concerning your own contributions: Take your time. I can fully understand that art but especially music creation is tightly coupled to your personal situation. I do not believe that one can really loose this sort of skill and talent, but it can be clouded. So do not give up and carry on, when you feel like it.