Topic: Open source game developement cooperation

Lastmerlin on July 05, 2011, 12:35:38 PM

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
At Sunday I attended an IRC meeting of several open source game developers with the aim to improve cooperation among game developers. As far as I remember, about 8-10 games were represented. The first meeting was essentially introducing the different projects.

Some first impressions: The majority of the games were unknown to me - and I already observed FOSS game developement scene for a while. Apparently, there are much more projects than you might expect and they are not that easy to discovers (and I suspect, they get not that much attention as they deserve).  My impression was, that most other projects had bigger and may also more experienced teams (especially in programming). However, we have one of the few projects that actually provide several hours of playable content, whereas many other projects are just great toolboxes and engines. In combination, this supports my permanent claim, that there are _way_ to much dead ends and wasted skill in open source game programming.

This initiative is something I highly value as an opportunity to reduce these problems. There are several things that can be shared: Code snippets, general knowledge with different tools, art content, story ideas, design principles and proposals, abstract information like toolchains, organization models.

One direct benefit I hope to get is an improvement to our Ogre code. Graphic programming is clearly one of our weak points. Even if we do not get someone who does direct programming, having someone who actually answers you question is extremely helpful as well.

On the other hand, we should discuss, what we can contribute to this cooperation. One option I thought about was offering to share models with other games. This also has the benefit, that we might get some new ones, as well. Of course, the individual artists will be asked first.

This is just some raw and unordered ideas for now. I should be working right now anyways :D . Some question I would like to discuss (naturally) are:
- Which form of cooperation could be established (apart from the already named ideas)
- What should we ask for, if we have the opportunity ?
- What can we offer ?
But of course, feel free to comment on anything you like ;)
  • Read 1716 times
  • Category General
Comments: 3

fusion44 on July 05, 2011, 04:40:42 PM
Reply #1

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I applaud that initiative ^^ What we can offer is all of our code and assistance.
But the problem is that I cannot code for other projects because when I'm not doing sumwars I do CEED wich is also a very important project, not only for us. We should carefully weight this situation ^^

But I have mixed feelings about sharing models since this is what makes our game look unique. I have no problem with sharing common objects like trees, rocks and stuff like that.
I don't even have a problem with sharing all  models, but textures should at least be altered to make them look a bit different in each game.

Jorge Avila on July 05, 2011, 05:23:44 PM
Reply #2

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
I totally agree, sharing content and knowledge is a great base for self improvement.
I share a lot, and i like it in that way.
Also... i think that things like chars, etc, should be modified...it's more an ethical thing... if you can modify it, do it.
but well, the only thing i maded here is in progress xD

Ideas, methods, theory, pieces of code... "tutorials", tips, experiences like the worflow, etc... could be shared.

KroArtem on July 10, 2011, 09:58:58 AM
Reply #3

KroArtem

• View Profile
story ideas
This is what shouldn't be shared, imho. :)