Topic: Mercenary Camp

kalimgard on February 27, 2011, 08:29:12 PM
Reply #15

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I vote for Lastmerlins option. I just wanted to give a backdoor ;)

Alfisko on February 28, 2011, 01:15:14 AM
Reply #16

Alfisko

• View Profile
Going to bed now.. ;-) Older version from today: http://alfisko.com/mercenary_camp6.jpg

Andreas on February 28, 2011, 09:57:29 AM
Reply #17

Andreas

Wow,

That's realy cool! I love this transparent roof shot. To achive ti in the game, we probably would have to build those kind of houses wall by wall, since oure collision model only supports cubic or circular shapes. But that is no problem at all. the roof could, walls, wall with door and wall with window be simply seperate objects loter combined by the level editors.

Am I lokking right? The planks seem to be just a cube, which would gladden me very much actualy. A poly count for the closed tent would be nice so ;).

Thank you Alfrisko, Id love to see this model in the game.

Alfisko on February 28, 2011, 02:28:10 PM
Reply #18

Alfisko

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Andreas' pid='1547' dateline='1298883449'
Wow,

That's realy cool! I love this transparent roof shot. To achive ti in the game, we probably would have to build those kind of houses wall by wall, since oure collision model only supports cubic or circular shapes. But that is no problem at all. the roof could, walls, wall with door and wall with window be simply seperate objects loter combined by the level editors.

Am I lokking right? The planks seem to be just a cube, which would gladden me very much actualy. A poly count for the closed tent would be nice so ;).

Thank you Alfrisko, Id love to see this model in the game.

No, the engine will have to support compound-mesh collisions, it would be stupid to make 6 batches just because of one tent. Also ineffective. Batches are the real pain, not polycount. :-) I will, of course, create a collision model, which is going to be much more simple and usable for that technique. This tent only needs 2 batches, one for roof and the other one for the rest. Fire wood will be a seperate object that could be placed all around the camp, it also has it's own texture. All these objects use thier 512x512 texture. I could merge the planks and fire wood texture into one, thus making it 1024x512 and saving one or more batches, but not all tents are going to have a pile of fire wood next to them. :-)

Only counters and tables are made of cubes for plank texture, the rest is properly modelled. I could do all planks as cubes, but it would lose the randomness of the whole and the feeling that it was actually built by soldiers who weren't very into the construction.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:38:48 PM by Alfisko »