Topic: Change of texture fromat

Andreas on February 21, 2011, 09:54:18 AM

Andreas

Hello Graphicsteam,

we tryed to optimize the texture workflow a little bit and also add the possibility to have more details in sumwars :cool:.

we will change the format to .ddf which is known by gpu's and can be loaded and processed more fast.

We will stick to the combined texture concept but be more intuitive in the distribution of space. An texture artist will now have an clearly defined space on the texture.

The resolution will be expanded to 2048 x 2048 px per texture.

Feel free to comment on this or add further suggestions to the discussion.

Best wishes
Andreas
  • Read 2614 times
  • Category Graphics
Comments: 5

Trilby on February 21, 2011, 01:48:51 PM
Reply #1

Trilby

• View Profile
.ddf? Or do you mean .dds ?

I've noticed that all existing texture files have been optimised recently. However, are we looking to totally update the existing textures to these new specifications?

I thought I'd check because I was planning to use the existing cave_ambient.png for my stair texture.

Psycho on February 22, 2011, 08:29:15 PM
Reply #2

Psycho

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Andreas on February 23, 2011, 09:49:19 AM
Reply #3

Andreas

Hi Trilby,

we will convert the existing textures, and it will probably not happen wondrously fast ;). Please use the existing cave_ambient.png for your mapping.

The textures in ogre are defined by the material files, in the folder  "trunk/resources/materials/scripts/". The change will only take place in this file, where we will change the ending .png to .dds (at least in my imaginagtion (lol) )

Do you need extra texture space in this file or are you intending to completly reuse the existing textures?

Best whishes and thank you
Andreas
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:10:09 AM by kalimgard »

Trilby on February 24, 2011, 12:35:50 AM
Reply #4

Trilby

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Andreas' pid='1511' dateline='1298450959'

Do you need extra texture space in this file or are you intending to completly reuse the existing textures?

I think I may need some more texture space for the steps, to make them look smooth/worn, but I don't think I'll need much for that. For the rest, we'll see what it will look like just using the basic cave wall texture.

Andreas on February 28, 2011, 10:00:49 AM
Reply #5

Andreas