kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like it, too :)

Trilby on February 16, 2011, 06:43:43 PM
Reply #16

Trilby

• View Profile
In the face of better talent joining us, I'm glad you like it. Now I only need to take a crash-course on UV texturing. :rolleyes:

There's plenty of room and an existing wall texture on the cave_ambient.png, I'm going to use what I can there. I'll just add any more stair texture I make, on to that file.

kalimgard on February 16, 2011, 08:03:05 PM
Reply #17

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thats a good idea. And it makes the integration easy.

Andreas on February 21, 2011, 09:44:25 AM
Reply #18

Andreas

Hello Trilby,

I somehow totaly missed this nice asset until now. It is great and integrates very well! Do you have already found somthing for uv mapping? Otherwise I'm shure, we can arange somhow the posiibility to teach you a little bit about texturing in Skype and with teamviewer.

Thank you for your time and efford :)

Trilby on October 19, 2011, 04:47:49 PM
Reply #19

Trilby

• View Profile
In a way this is a continuation of the stairs project from aeons ago.  :)  Work on that model is in hiatus. UV texture issues prompted me to start modeling some interior masonry walls for Maylon's tomb instead. Working title is "buttress walls" or "Akeran walls".

I'm part way into making the textures. I've tried to go for a palette that will match the Maylon's tomb entrance model. Hopefully the walls are designed in a way to allow reuse of specific textures between each of the models. In effect these are tile-able. If these walls work out, I'll give the stairs a second attempt. After that, may be spice up the collection of walls with a few ruined sections too.

Please let me know what you think, and whether any further wall section parts are needed.

Psycho on October 19, 2011, 08:40:38 PM
Reply #20

Psycho

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
hi trilby

1. the tex looks good to me ;D
    it's something blurred but i think it can be changed

2. wall sizes that we need:   1 x 1
                                              2 x 1
                                              4 x 1
                                              8 x 1
                  corner inside        1 x 1
                  corner outside     1 x 1

Trilby on October 23, 2011, 01:07:50 AM
Reply #21

Trilby

• View Profile
UV texture finished.

Unfortunately, those seams in the base are very difficult to eradicate, but at least they are disguised. This wall set appears to tile well enough. All textures here are on a single png 1024x1024. That should give you an idea of the image resolution I've been working with.

And here's a construct, that shows how they can fit together...

That should contain all wall sections stated above.  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:28:35 PM by Trilby »

Psycho on October 24, 2011, 05:51:13 PM
Reply #22

Psycho

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. very good work ( so I can remove this work from my ToDo list )  ;D ;D ;D

2. i think we need this sizes for the level editor but i´m not sure about it

Trilby on October 26, 2011, 08:45:47 PM
Reply #23

Trilby

• View Profile
Thanks, Psycho!

I've been playing around with the Blender2Ogre exporter, and made a quick hack in 0-5-4 to view the resultant meshes. Quickly swapping a single cave wall mesh for one of my own wall sections. Clearly the next stage will be creating object-groups with meshes all of the correct sizes etc.

I would be pleased to receive some advice on which files and so forth need to be created/modified to wire these models into Sumwars properly. I also noticed the Buttress wall section doesn't seem to be effected by the player light source like the other cave meshes are.

Here's a piccy.  :)

Trilby on October 30, 2011, 07:56:53 PM
Reply #24

Trilby

• View Profile
The base of my wall sections need a careful re-texture, but that's not the issue.

Excuse the trees. ;D  They make Maylon's Grave look like Tomb Raider, but I suppose that's apt.  ;) I cloned a lot of the entries within obj_templates.xml, to create a new "buttress" environment and switched to use this with Maylon's Grave lvl 1.

I hadn't realised just how heavily the exported Ogre mesh refers to Blender's object origin point. So, I've been fighting to get these wall sections to join when placed by the map generator. I believe I've got their default positions lined up as well as I can. Unfortunately the outer corner runs into trouble in every instance. It's almost as if the length of each wall joining this outer corner is 0.5 section too long.

The overall symmetry is also effected. I wondered if it would be an easy thing to change: If each wall was always arranged by the map generator, to place it's largest meshes in the center of a wall, with the smaller meshes at either side? So all walls would be constructed like: 0.5, 1 , 2, 4, 2, 1, 0.5 (if you understand my meaning).

EDIT

Complete re-texture of buttress base. Also adjusted the hue and reintroduced contrasting colours to make the texture more interesting and naturalistic (i.e red and green hints). I think these walls could work well for outdoor environments too.

Also tiles well between sections.  :D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:22:09 PM by Trilby »

Trilby on October 31, 2011, 07:19:43 PM
Reply #25

Trilby

• View Profile
Here are the exported meshes for all buttress wall sections. Including exported material file and texture image.

UPDATED LINK BELOW
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:13:13 PM by Trilby »

KroArtem on October 31, 2011, 07:24:15 PM
Reply #26

KroArtem

• View Profile
Hm, I really like these walls, can somebody (kalimgard or smb else) integrate this into the game? I think it is worth adding to the game.

Trilby on November 02, 2011, 10:07:21 PM
Reply #27

Trilby

• View Profile
These wall sections can now be accessed from svn. Kalimgard has very kindly wired them in, and are present at Maylon's Grave.  :D

Due to the overall depth of the mesh geometry, the joining walls for each outer corner suffered from from a few graphics problems. Overlapping faces and clipping.

The following files should correct this. Contained in the zip archive are two outer corner meshes.

buttress_wall_cOut1 -- is the new corner mesh.
buttress_wall_cOut2 --is the old mesh with a new name. This mesh should be used in manually written obj-groups, where it's placement can be specified.

EDIT: NEW LINK

http://www.box.net/shared/5ftk9xicymbcaaozck6i

Again I've modified the meshes to resolve a second issue. Once wired in it became apparent that the ground texture used to fill the spaces at the border, was clipping the walls, due to them being set unusually far back.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:14:53 PM by Trilby »

fusion44 on November 03, 2011, 05:37:28 PM
Reply #28

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This looks really good! I even like the tree there. I think we have to use much more clutter in the grave like little broken rocks, columns and spiderwebs :)

Trilby on April 30, 2012, 07:14:32 PM
Reply #29

Trilby

• View Profile
Well, I did start to work on a few ruin-type meshes to fit with these, as well as looking into some area transition models. Time to take another go at them, I think. I will also post the working blend file at some point too.

Meanwhile, as some players may have noticed that the new walls for inside Maylon's Grave are very bright compared with the floor and border materials. Being new to converting to OGRE meshes, I didn't know how to fix this. However after looking into it again, I figured some things out. I hand edited the file produced by the exporter //share/resources/materials/scripts/Buttress_old.material

change the line: colour_op replace to colour_op modulate

You may want to alter the first few settings too, so they're not too dark! I've used the settings from cave.material

Code: [Select]
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
diffuse 1 1 1 1
specular 0 0 0 1
emissive 0 0 0

Here's the preview of changes:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:00:01 PM by Trilby »