Topic: [UI] Halt the system.

Jorge Avila on May 19, 2012, 10:01:14 PM

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
I've been thinking about our UI development, i've noticed that in the time that i've paused my contributions to the project, it received some nice and important contributions.
And they all work just fine. But somehow they don't fit quite right, call it "streched windows", "bigger buttons", "missuse of checkboxes", "odd questions", "unanswered doubts".

I was wondering, why does that happened, i've seen that even i've made stuffs that don't really fit with my previous designs (aka BELT, in relationship with inventory/character sheet).

So, if even I have made mistakes why some non-designer wouldn't? How can we fix that?
And i've realized the obvious, we need rules, a guide, instructions of how to do it, and how we shouldn't.

Our current gui development needs some construction & design rules / goals.
While i'm not assuming a mandatory possition, i'm proposing, to the acceptance and discussion of every member, a way to develop our UI system.

What does it means?
It means that from now we will adopt a way to write, dispose elements,  and design new ones.
From new widgets(eg: buttons), to new dialogs(eg: Enchanting system).

Why does it worth the try?
Because, if we stick to it, it will make the process distributable, and non dependant on one person to achieve a consistent / coherent system ('unified').
Or at least will reduce the possibility of error.

Let's go physical (mmm yeah)
The warehouse will be the wiki, of course.
The idea is to write some text holding the rules, with examples in images, if possible.
An important thing is that i don't propose a guide for every possible situation, that would be nonsense.
Its more like, "we got this, so next thing with similar stuff should be like this, or like this other".

What do you think, does it worth the try?
If something is not clear, please let me know.

Since i'm the first one to roll the dishes i'll start making some basics rules like, sizes and colors.
  • Read 1727 times
  • Category Graphics
Comments: 3

dezGusty on May 20, 2012, 03:18:37 PM
Reply #1

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Jorge,

I think it's a good idea and it should help.
The most stringent problem that I see is with the aspect ratio of the screen. And this is a problem caused by the used monitors.
Some use the very old 4:3 aspect ratio found in 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200, etc.
Then, we have the 5:4 aspect ratio used mostly for 1280x1024
And then we have the initial wide-screen ratio of 16:10 (such as 1400x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200)
And lastly we have the currently popular 16:9 (such as 1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080)

The current state is that we use a set of UI items designed mainly for 4:3, and apply it to all, although 4:3 is the oldest. But that doesn't mean that we would do a good job crafting everything in a newer aspect ratio.

I think setting a guideline for working with the various aspect ratios will prove difficult, but will need to be done at some point. I'm still investigating possible approaches for this for my other projects.

Lastmerlin on May 30, 2012, 08:41:58 PM
Reply #2

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
First of all - sorry for the late replay.

It seems that you have caught me, having created all current GUI dialogs more or less at free will and random. In consequence, spacings, margins, button sizes etc differ rather wildly :( . Of course, having some coherent rules will give a much more *professional* look.
Therefore: Feel free to propose some new rules, and we can go for some improvements. By they way: All dialogs are described by the CEGUi XMl format, to they can be changed easily without modifications to the code.

Jorge Avila on May 31, 2012, 01:24:42 AM
Reply #3

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
I'm happy to see your responses, in the term of a week, i'll be posting the first article of the guide.