Topic: Telaron's music

Telaron on July 21, 2010, 04:02:10 PM

Telaron

• View Profile
Here's a short piece that I wrote. I'm probably about halfway done this song, but I though I'd post the part I've written already. I don't know where it could go in the game, because it isn't exactly an intense battle song.;)  Also I'm not 100% certain what type of music is needed for the game.:-/
  • Read 4332 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 8

West on July 21, 2010, 05:43:21 PM
Reply #1

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='620' dateline='1279724530'
Here's a short piece that I wrote. I'm probably about halfway done this song, but I though I'd post the part I've written already.

That's a very nice piece Telaron! In fact this is far better than the stuff you have posted in the past, so grats on the level up so to speak. Am I right in assuming that EWQL Gold turned out to be a very inspiring tool?

I don't know where it could go in the game, because it isn't exactly an intense battle song.;)

I don't know either TBH. It's not really in the style I have in mind for the game, but keep at it and we'll figure something out. One important heads-up though: all melodic (i.e. not atmospheric "background" pieces) need to feature an existing theme. I mentioned this in some other thread but I need to put together a proper list of guidelines (see below). IOW, anyone who wants their music in the game are required to use some existing theme in their piece. It doesn't have to be obvious, there just needs to be a connection with the rest of the music.

Also I'm not 100% certain what type of music is needed for the game.:-/

I haven't posted any guidelines for music contributions simply because it's still up in the air. I'm still experimenting and before I have a clear idea where I want the soundtrack to go, you'll have to fly blind. Sorry.

Some keywords for getting you on the right track:

- Rhythmic. I absolutely encourage the use of percussion -- all kinds of percussion. It's an action game so we want music that reflects this. In fact I wouldn't be adverse to the thought of having some all-percussion pieces, as long as you have samples that can hold their own.

- Dark. No sunshine and fairies. No merry hobbit-like ditties. Please note that this doesn't mean everything has to be in a minor key.

- Thematic. This is important. Every tune is a part of a bigger picture and needs to reflects this in some way. Even if it's just a few detached notes from a phrase in some other piece, a modulation or a distinct harmony etc, it has to be there.

Telaron on July 21, 2010, 06:24:55 PM
Reply #2

Telaron

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply West, glad you liked it.
(Yeah, you'd be absolutely right in thinking that EWQL Gold has inspired me.) :)

So I need to use an existing theme... hmm, that would mean using a theme from the Summoning Wars Main Theme you wrote? That's completely fine with me. I'm sure I could incorporate something.:cool:

I'm ok with 'flying blind', I do it often enough anyway. If it needs it, I could rewrite the song when you have a clear idea where you want the soundtrack to go.

Thanks for the guidelines, that will help quite a bit for any future writing. :)

Telaron.

West on July 24, 2010, 09:08:20 PM
Reply #3

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Telaron' pid='622' dateline='1279733095'
So I need to use an existing theme... hmm, that would mean using a theme from the Summoning Wars Main Theme you wrote? That's completely fine with me. I'm sure I could incorporate something.:cool:

Yeah, check out the pieces I've posted in this forum for some ideas. The video music and the two gameplay tunes have a lot of themes you could reuse. Just to be clear though, you don't need to incorporate entire passages or anything, just hints will do fine. Variations and derivations are encouraged, i.e. adapting a melody to a different time signature or rhythm, playing something in major instead of minor, etc.

I've noticed it's deceptively easy slipping into the main theme as soon as I'm not clear what to do next, so be careful with that. We don't want the music to become *too* predictable :)

Edit: also, if you can't seem to figure out some chord or harmony, just ask.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:09:57 PM by West »

Telaron on February 09, 2011, 02:40:20 PM
Reply #4

Telaron

• View Profile
Hey, Guys.

Since Lastmerlin said that more music will be needed, I decided to try once more to compose something suitable for the game. I believe that I have improved some what since my last go at composing for this project. This is only about fifty seconds long (I plan on making it longer, obviously) but, I decided to go ahead and post what I had.

kalimgard on February 09, 2011, 04:04:14 PM
Reply #5

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Telaron on February 10, 2011, 02:42:55 PM
Reply #6

Telaron

• View Profile
Thanks.

An update. See what you guys think about those last ten seconds...
Dangerous Adventure

Trilby on February 10, 2011, 07:55:59 PM
Reply #7

Trilby

• View Profile
I really like this too, nice composition Telaron!

Good percussion throughout, with the hammer like strikes. In fact I particularly like the way the piece works to the louder/bolder part at 1:10ish, I think extending that part for longer will work wonderfully, in a "Hall of the Mountain King" / abridged Ravel's Bolero kind off way. :)

West on February 10, 2011, 10:02:33 PM
Reply #8

West

• View Profile
That's pretty cool Telaron, Grieg meets Conan the Barbarian or something like that :)

I like the mysterious/threatening feel of it, but it's also kind of monotonous. I understand that this might be  intentional but I suggest varying the instrumentation and density to make it sound less... well, trudging. It's only little over a minute and you really don't want to start boring the listener so early in a composition.

I believe I've said before that I'd like to hear more (well, some!) harmony and this tune is no exception. I hear a steady bass note with various melodies on top. This doesn't make for very interesting music for longer periods of time. I know that you're relatively new to this and I feel bad for being so negative all the time, but Telaron, you REALLY need to work harder on chord progressions and harmony. Not saying this is a bad piece, it isn't. But if this is all you're going to do with it and just add more of the same... then no, we're not interested.

Sorry, but sometimes I feel that you're more interested in churning out half-hearted pieces than really learning and getting better. Almost as if you're afraid of the effort it would take. Please prove me wrong.