Topic: Mac Build

Lastmerlin on June 16, 2010, 11:33:29 PM

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
At the moment Mac build is somehow stuck, so i post what we have now and hope that someone has a good idea how to continue.

Current state of the art is: The game compiles, but crashes on start.
Crash occurs in the first call into the c++ standard lib. Specifically it crashes in LogManager::addLog -> std::map::count. But if you remove this call, it crashes in the next call into stdlib.

I once saw a similar problem on a windows system, upgrading the compiler to gcc 4.4 fixed it there.

I asked pinguin to post all environment specifications (os version, compiler version, lib versions) and got:

OS X 10.6.3, but I compiled it with 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 SDKs, and gcc 4.0 and 4.2, and gcc llvm

CEGUI 0.5 , intl is... 8? I've used it in other projects though, OIS 1.2, ogg 1.2, vorbis 1.3.1, lua 5.1, ogre 1.6.5

I fear pinguin is rather reluctant to upgrade his compiler though. Has anyone an idea what may be the cause of such problems and how to tackle it ?
  • Read 7943 times
  • Category General
Comments: 29

artisticdude on June 17, 2010, 03:15:33 AM
Reply #1

artisticdude

• Foil/Epee Fencer
  • Sound Effects Guy/Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
trapdoor said he wants to help out with the mac build, so perhaps he'll know how to fix it. :)
Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.
                                                              --Michelangelo

trapdoor on June 19, 2010, 03:07:43 AM
Reply #2

trapdoor

• View Profile
Quote from: 'artisticdude' pid='435' dateline='1276740933'

trapdoor said he wants to help out with the mac build, so perhaps he'll know how to fix it. :)

Unfortunately I get the same crash, in the same places. I tried different Ogre, different CEGUI and different of all the other libs except libintl.

It's a very odd problem I have never seen before, but I will continue to look for a workaround and/or fix.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:08:29 AM by trapdoor »

summy on June 19, 2010, 01:03:17 PM
Reply #3

summy

Hi to all,
Building a Mac is easy these days! Go check out the compatibility list floating out there and grab some x86 parts. Since OS X can run on x86 hardware now, it is just as easy building a Mac as it is building a PC.

Unless of course you want to stay with PPC...which would just be...odd

summy on June 19, 2010, 01:04:38 PM
Reply #4

summy

Hi to all,
Building a Mac is easy these days! Go check out the compatibility list floating out there and grab some x86 parts. Since OS X can run on x86 hardware now, it is just as easy building a Mac as it is building a PC.

Unless of course you want to stay with PPC...which would just be...odd

Lastmerlin on June 19, 2010, 06:42:21 PM
Reply #5

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please try to meet me in irc, I have a few more ideas what to investigate, but I can not work on it alone for obvious reasons ;)

trapdoor on June 21, 2010, 04:42:57 AM
Reply #6

trapdoor

• View Profile
I have the mac build compiling, and running.

Will have a download for you soon.

Lastmerlin on June 21, 2010, 07:14:35 AM
Reply #7

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
After days of fighting with issues and disappointments, it is really good to see, that this finally works. A big thanks to crimson_penguin and trapdoor, who did some very good (and hard) work on this mac build.

At the moment sound and network play is deactivated due to serious problems with the corresponding libs. Of course it is planned to get these two working as well.

trapdoor on June 23, 2010, 12:58:41 AM
Reply #8

trapdoor

• View Profile
Quote from: 'Lastmerlin' pid='463' dateline='1277100875'

After days of fighting with issues and disappointments, it is really good to see, that this finally works. A big thanks to crimson_penguin and trapdoor, who did some very good (and hard) work on this mac build.

At the moment sound and network play is deactivated due to serious problems with the corresponding libs. Of course it is planned to get these two working as well.

Should I wait till we have those working before uploading, or would it be best to at least have a working version for people to play, even if it doesn't have sound or network?

Lastmerlin on June 23, 2010, 07:00:42 AM
Reply #9

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I vote for uploading it. Of course its not a fully functional version because we had to cut out networking and sound (with sound I am quite sure this can be solved fast). Nevertheless this is a big step forward for all Mac-users.  With network I cant see how to solve it soon and I dont want to let these players wait much longer. As one of our main main sound contributor works on MAC (artisticdude), we have to get sound working, though. Please have a look again at the issues, that occured there. I believe they were nothing too scary. Meet me in IRC or post to the forum if you hit a dead end, perhaps I have another idea then.

trapdoor on June 24, 2010, 11:48:24 AM
Reply #10

trapdoor

• View Profile
Hopefully the forum software wont ban me for adding a link to the mac build of sum wars. http://www.casualgamer.co.uk/sumwars.dmg

Its 46MB, open the dmg in Mac OSX 10.4 or later (intel only for now). Drag the app into Applications, and double click to launch.

Saved files and log files are stored in Library/Application Support/Sumwars directory inside your home directory.

When we have sound and networking fixed I will work on a universal (intel+ppc) build.

Let me know if you have any problems, I haven't had time to spend a great deal of time testing it.

Have fun!

hal9000 on June 24, 2010, 02:35:33 PM
Reply #11

hal9000

• View Profile
Quote from: 'trapdoor' pid='486' dateline='1277376504'

Let me know if you have any problems, I haven't had time to spend a great deal of time testing it.

Have fun!

Beside my Linux box (desktop), my father has a 2009 MacBookPro, (Intel Core 2, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT mobile), if you are interested I could test your build on it.

trapdoor on June 24, 2010, 07:12:01 PM
Reply #12

trapdoor

• View Profile
Quote from: 'hal9000' pid='488' dateline='1277386533'

Beside my Linux box (desktop), my father has a 2009 MacBookPro, (Intel Core 2, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT mobile), if you are interested I could test your build on it.

Please do, I briefly tested on my laptop which is a 2009 Macbook Pro too (only 9400M card though).

Lastmerlin on June 24, 2010, 07:44:57 PM
Reply #13

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I will put it on the website as soon as a few of our mac users her in forum confirmed that it worked for them. I hope that this will be at the weekend. Dear mac-users please test it as soon as possible :)

hal9000 on June 26, 2010, 05:32:39 PM
Reply #14

hal9000

• View Profile
Ok I've tested it and it doesn't work for library-related problem:

Dyld Error Message
Library not loaded
/opt/local/lib/libphysfs.1.dylib
(image not found)
related to: /Applications/Sumwars.app/contents/MacOS/SumWars
Code Type: X86 (native)

Probably we have just to integrate the libphysfs library..