Topic: Feedback needed regarding Particle Universe

fusion44 on June 08, 2014, 10:27:31 AM

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is not a problem for Windows, but more a question for all Linux users :-)

As you know, I want to make use of Particle Universe in Summoning Wars.
You can find the repository here: https://github.com/fusion44/particleuniverse
Problem is, that its a Plugin for Ogre which doesn't ship by default. It'll require all package maintainers
to also ship the plugin with sumwars and we hardcode the path or install to Ogre's standard plugin path and we change
the plugins.cfg with cmake accordingly.

What do you think?

• Read 1926 times
  • Category Programming
Comments: 2

Akien on June 09, 2014, 08:29:49 PM
Reply #1

Akien

• View Profile
This is not a problem for Windows, but more a question for all Linux users :-)

As you know, I want to make use of Particle Universe in Summoning Wars.
You can find the repository here: https://github.com/fusion44/particleuniverse
Problem is, that its a Plugin for Ogre which doesn't ship by default. It'll require all package maintainers
to also ship the plugin with sumwars and we hardcode the path or install to Ogre's standard plugin path and we change
the plugins.cfg with cmake accordingly.

What do you think?
As a packager, I would like to package the Particle Universe plugin properly so that it's available for all applications which could rely on it. So it would be best IMO if a cmake option could let the user either build the plugin within Sumwars' buildsystem, or use the system-wide plugin from OGRE's standard plugin path (the option could be automatically set upon detection of the plugin in OGRE's plugin path too, with a possibility to override it to force the static build).

In this regard, it would be best (for packagers at least) if you could use the vanilla upstream plugin and not a patched version (unless it's really mandatory, but then it would prevent from using the packaged upstream plugin with Sumwars). I see you have a few changes already in your github fork, maybe you could work with upstream to make them part of the official plugin?

fusion44 on June 09, 2014, 09:14:04 PM
Reply #2

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Currently I am more or less upstream. Scrawl isn't the initiator of the project. I've created several pull requests, but he did not want to be the "official" PU maintainer (neither do I)
I think this should go under Ogre's official umbrella. Maybe I can talk with the Ogre guys about this.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:18:19 PM by fusion44 »