Topic: Project Tracking Tool Discussion

dezGusty on January 26, 2014, 07:16:05 PM

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

in the latest weekly meeting, the issue of the bug-tracker to use has been brought up again. As that is a significant part of any project, and will be the base of our further development, we will post here our findings, about the possible technical solutions. All solutions shall be analyzed according to the following criteria:
- license (free and open-source licenses are preferred).
- possibility to integrate with Mercurial (so that we are able to link our code commits to the issues created in the bug-tracker).
- ease of use
- ease of configuration.
- feature set for both current and possible future use cases.
If you have any suggestions, please provide information on all 5 criteria.

Our current use cases are:
- create a bug/task/issue, etc
- assign the item to a project member
- allow the project member to analyze the item and accept it as valid, reject it, or reassign it to someone more appropriate.

This list is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems .
Note: there are currently 2 tracking systems available.
- Mantis, integrated already into this wiki: http://sumwars.org/mantis/my_view_page.php (alas, at the time of the initial set-up, it lacked Mercurial integration. Now there seems to be an experimental plug-in for that. Not yet tested).
- The bitbucket tracker: https://bitbucket.org/sumwars/sumwars-code/issues .

If you have any proposals, please submit them in a reply to this post.
dezGusty out.
  • Read 1798 times
  • Category General
Comments: 7

fusion44 on January 28, 2014, 07:54:05 PM
Reply #1

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jorge was kind enough to setup an example Redmine located on the Redhat cloud:
http://redmine-delimo.rhcloud.com/projects/sumwars

I've filled it with some old bugs and data from Bitbucket. I've added all issues until #10.
I've basically cloned them so any reference number are the same between Bitbucket and Redmine. Any references from any commits will stay intact this way.

I really liked Redmine. The UI looked very logical and easy to use to me. It should even be usable by people less technical inclined to file bugs. I'm thinking about story bugs here.

On the con side, its very hard to get the installation running in my experience.

KroArtem on January 28, 2014, 08:54:26 PM
Reply #2

KroArtem

• View Profile
From my point of view, Mantis is not that convenient. The same about JIRA. Haven't used Redmine so don't know about it.
Again, imho, Trac is rather cozy (or maybe it's me who used it more and adapted to it.)

But I'm looking at these systems from a point of user. Actually in case you have enough interest it's possible to file bugs to any of these systems.

fusion44 on January 29, 2014, 07:53:47 PM
Reply #3

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I’m pretty much convinced right now, that Redmine is our best option at the moment as it
has the clearest UI in my opinion. Mantis does not have the same level of features that Redmine has.
JIRA has even more features than Redmine ( millions of reports ) but has a much steeper learning curve.

Granted, this is not the most thorough examination of Trackers ever, but Redmine hits the right balance in usability and features with me.

I’ve been thinking about how we can use a bug tracker to keep an overview about our progress we make with our art
for the game. I think we can actually depict the process for creating a level quite well with tickets and subtickets.
Here’s how it should look at the example of the hopefully upcoming mine level in my opinion:

We just have to think about how far we want go with this. I want to avoid micromanaging everything, but on the other hand,
everybody know who’s working on what. We can get some more “direction” to the content creation and have a clear goal
we want to reach.

Pros and cons for this approach (that I can think of):
Pros:
  • better collaboration possible
  • work is more structured
  • we can track our progress better which may lead to more engagement by people on the team if we always have visible progress (the gantt chart)
  • more frequent brainstorming sessions are needed*

Cons:
  • has some overhead for creating tickets
  • keeping them up to date needs work
  • more frequent brainstorming sessions are needed*
* Yes, correct can be pro and con.

In the end I think if we do not over complicate things with this, we have a great tool for future work at our disposal.
Important is, that we hold discussions from time to time where we want to advance the project next. For this I’d propose
some brainstorming sessions where we think through the levels and gather resources we need to have for it. At the
same time we can create an outline for the tickets we have to generate in Redmine.

What do you think?

Jorge Avila on January 29, 2014, 08:10:15 PM
Reply #4

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
I can't say nothing but agree with you @fusion44. Seems that redmine it's just what we need at this moment.
Imho more brainstorming between us, it's allways great, for our minds, and our game evolution.
We are in really need of this kind of workflow and organization.

I'd go forward.

fusion44 on January 29, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
Reply #5

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have to add one thing. In a perfect world, we'd have never a commit to the repository without a reference to a ticket in Redmine.
This would make Redmine almost the central point of information for the whole development process.

dezGusty on January 31, 2014, 10:57:21 PM
Reply #6

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Ok, I was hoping I could give some good reasons to stick with Mantis, as it would be good enough.
But having taken a look at the feature comparison, I think I also have to support Redmine. The video tutorial I saw makes it look very easy to use. And what I saw so far in OpenMW, left a good impression on me.
dezGusty out.

fusion44 on February 01, 2014, 03:40:55 PM
Reply #7

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, great. My server will be upgraded soon. I'll set it up there.
We can also host other things on there if we want to.