Topic: How to handle ambient sound effects in the game

Dratz-_C on August 25, 2012, 04:24:13 PM

Dratz-_C

Hi folks,
I went to the Summoning Wars IRC channel and q66 and I think that the ambient sound effects layer should be deliberately chosen by the map authors, seperate from the music, so that the music tracks go over the top of the sound effects and are usable in more situations. This could include a parent ambience layer made of an array of 1 or more sounds that play everywhere; and a child layer that plays ambient sound effects placed at specific locations, gains and minimum and maximum radii. This model would also allow folks to regulate in the sound options the volume of the ambient sound effects independently of the music and combat sound effects volumes. Many games do it this way including, for example, Diablo 3 and The Elder Scrolls series. What do you think about how accomplish the ambience?
Cheers
  • Read 5599 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 4

West on August 25, 2012, 08:30:07 PM
Reply #1

West

• View Profile
Absolutely, makes perfect sense.

Until we have such a system implemented, however, I vote for keeping the ambience effects integrated into the music tracks.

Dratz-_C on August 26, 2012, 06:30:58 AM
Reply #2

Dratz-_C

Hi West,
I agree with you with the reservation that I think we should ask folks to consider submiting, in addition to the ambience tracks, versions of their songs with no sound effects if they want to future proof their work.
Cheers

fusion44 on August 26, 2012, 07:33:47 AM
Reply #3

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you want, you could file a feature request in our bugtracker for the ambient sound engine. It'd make a really nice addition, but at the moment there isn't anyone who could implement it :(

http://sumwars.org/mantis/my_view_page.php

Dratz-_C on August 26, 2012, 05:46:56 PM
Reply #4

Dratz-_C

fusion44,
Okay, that's just what I've done and thanks for suggesting it.
Cheers