Topic: We need ambience tracks!

dezGusty on September 10, 2012, 05:19:49 AM
Reply #15

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hmm... The crickets add a certain something to the track. The current approach of using the crickets in the original file is still a hack. We can't do much about it for now.

But what is intriguing to me is the rhythm. The large pause between the guitar pieces begs to be replaced by something... Even if it's just another instrument echoing the same notes that the guitar is playing.
Do you also have a version with the reverberation (and compression and flanging) but without the crickets?

Dratz-_C on September 16, 2012, 04:03:33 AM
Reply #16

Dratz-_C

Hi dezGusty,
I just got back from my vacation. Thank you for your reply. I have an idea about the rhythm and the large pauses between the guitar strums. I am thinking of doing some arpeggios with the guitar that use the same chords. This would assure that 1 recent note is always playing. I will supply a version without the cicada. Do you still want the wind track in the mix? For the record cicada are large insects that are dormant for about 7 years and then come out of the dirt to molt, mate and die. They are unusual. Crickets are common.
Cheers

Dratz-_C on September 26, 2012, 12:15:49 AM
Reply #17

Dratz-_C

Dear desGusty,
I took the ambient sound effect insect track out. Also, in the absence of directions about what to do with the ambient sound effect wind track, I took it out. Here is the guitar with the flanging, compression and reverberation, by itself. There is no arpeggio track yet. When hearing a quality difference in the preview please note that the mp3 is half the file size of the previous ones. I would like to continue this convention in the future.
AA04 Preview: https://www.box.com/s/tc00f9h73nc7k719fvqh
AA04 flac: https://www.box.com/s/t37le7rkpi0c6bz4kwj0
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:28:07 AM by Dratz-_C »

Dratz-_C on June 12, 2013, 04:43:06 AM
Reply #18

Dratz-_C

Hi again folks,
I have been watching a playthrough of Diablo III on youtube. I am about half way into it now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZiAhKB-3g&list=PL7EC367E9F889670F I have noticed what West is talking about with the music being more ambiance than brilliance while serving the need for backing. I remember sometimes thinking that I could do better than they until I reminded myself of how much time I would waste to make it marginally more sophisticated. Around this same time I decided to break out Synful Orchestra and test its established expressive strings. I took one part and transposed it for the other 4 string ranges. The result when taken together does sound quite a bit like part of a Diablo 3 dungeon ambiance track. If you want to listen to it I'll post the links.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5239724/Synful_strings_test.flac
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5239724/Synful_strings_test.ogg
Cheers

Dratz-_C on June 18, 2013, 11:25:28 PM
Reply #19

Dratz-_C

Hey folks,
Sorry for the bump but are there any thoughts on this?
Cheers

dezGusty on June 19, 2013, 06:24:32 AM
Reply #20

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Dratz,

the piece sounds more like something out of a classical black&white horror movie. Not one of my favorites in its current form. The strings change their tonality stronger and more often than I'm comfortable with :). Maybe the addition of other instruments, would change the feel of the piece. Or maybe changing the instruments... not sure.

Maybe the piece could work in its current form, but we need to improve the sound engine and add more sounds. In D3, the music feels like being more in the background, being covered by other sounds. And you can't really hear the music once the fighting commences. We need more of these action sounds. I'm working a bit on this.

Keep'em coming :-)
dezGusty out.

fusion44 on June 19, 2013, 06:52:20 PM
Reply #21

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've tried the track in Maylons grave and I found it worked very well when used as background music when fighting zombies :). Setting the music loudness to about 40% of other sound effects works the bast in my opinion and set a nice mood.

fusion44 on June 19, 2013, 07:02:26 PM
Reply #22

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I forgot, if you want to try the track ingame yourself just open share\data\world\aisen.xml and find <Region id="15" name="aisMaylonsGraveL1">  you can replace the tracks that are present already for Maylons grave.

Change the Music element to look like this:
Code: [Select]

<Music>
    <Track source="Synful_strings_test.ogg" />
</Music>

For this to work you'll need to place your track into the sumwars\share\resources\music folder. Open the game and walk into maylons grave level 1 :)