Topic: Developer interview: Summoning wars

KroArtem on March 12, 2012, 09:38:20 PM

KroArtem

• View Profile
Good evening all,
some time ago I've done an interview with supertuxkart developers and now I suggest you to do the same thing.
The idea is to spread the word: it's possible to post this interview on freegamer's blog and on some russian websites. The more sites, the better :)

I've got the list of questions, feel free to add/discuss it:
  • Please say some words about yourself/your job.
  • Explain in a few words how and when did you join sumwars's team?
  • Say what role do you have in the project? (Leader, package maintainer, etc)
  • Why do you work on this project?
  • Are you satisfied with existing development? Do you think sumwars needs more contributors/testers/artists?
  • How do you see sumwars in the future?
  • What do you think is important, what do you like / don't like in sumwars's development/community/etc.

You don't need to hurry. Moreover, I'll need some time to translate all answers on Russian.
Feedback is welcome.
  • Read 3679 times
  • Category General
Comments: 14

Lastmerlin on March 13, 2012, 03:09:55 PM
Reply #1

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Interesting idea  - in general, advertisment is always good.
What are you thinking about specifically ? IRC or some *real* interview via Skype for instance ? How many participants do you want to have ? Can you post your previous interview (in english, at best) just to have an example of the style ?

KroArtem on March 13, 2012, 05:12:29 PM
Reply #2

KroArtem

• View Profile
Sure, here is the pevious interview with supertuxkart developers:
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2012/02/developer-interview-supertuxkart-team.html

There is no need to use skype or whatever, just write the answers and send them via forum/email. As for me, I'd be very glad to see some answers from you, fusion44, kalimgard, Jorge, Kulik and Protogenes. Probably I forgot somebody.

West on March 18, 2012, 12:35:10 AM
Reply #3

West

• View Profile

KroArtem on March 18, 2012, 08:28:02 AM
Reply #4

KroArtem

• View Profile
I think no, 3-d modellers and music writers ;) can also participate in, but don't try to answer the questions now as the activity of our devs is quite low and I don't see any enthusiasm from them. So don't waste your time, let's wait for the final decision.

fusion44 on March 18, 2012, 09:41:27 AM
Reply #5

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've started answering the questions already, but it may take a bit of time to answer them in a nice way :)

Lastmerlin on March 18, 2012, 10:32:29 AM
Reply #6

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oh, there is a decision required ? For some reason, I had already settled on an *yeah, why not*-attitude. Then, I will ask in IRC this evening (you may also give an opinion here). Most probably, the result will be *yeah, why not* :D .

And: You should definitely add West and Psycho to the list.

KroArtem on March 18, 2012, 12:03:35 PM
Reply #7

KroArtem

• View Profile
Ok, then I'm waiting for your replies. You may not answer to some questions if you find them confusing.

poVoq on March 18, 2012, 11:11:29 PM
Reply #8

poVoq

• View Profile
Looking forward to this ;)

West on April 04, 2012, 08:54:15 PM
Reply #9

West

• View Profile
Ok, then I'm waiting for your replies. You may not answer to some questions if you find them confusing.

I've answered the questions. You want me to PM you or should I post them here in this thread?

KroArtem on April 05, 2012, 06:08:05 PM
Reply #10

KroArtem

• View Profile

I've answered the questions. You want me to PM you or should I post them here in this thread?

You can post your results here, maybe this will motivate other people ;)

West on April 07, 2012, 09:01:52 AM
Reply #11

West

• View Profile
All right, here we go:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please say some words about yourself/your job.

My name is Mattias Westlund; online I'm known as West or cerendir. I'm a Swedish game music composer and sample developer.

Explain in a few words how and when did you join sumwars's team?

Lastmerlin contacted me somtime in 2010. He was familiar with my work on Battle for Wesnoth and when he heard I was looking for a new project, he asked me to join the sumwars team. IIRC he said something along the lines of "me and some friends have been working on a game, it's far from finished, it's not even publicly available". Being a bit of a cynic, I expected mediocrity. But I was completely blown away by what these guys had done. Yes, the game was rough around the edges but it just oozed potential. I said "get a web site and go public with this, and I'm in". They did, and here I am :)

Say what role do you have in the project? (Leader, package maintainer, etc)

I'm the main composer and music director for the project. Meaning, I write the bulk of the music, decide on the style and direction of the soundtrack, and review and pass judgment on music submissions. Not that we ever get any, but I think that's the job description...

Why do you work on this project?

Well there's several reasons. First one's a no-brainer: I really like the game. I was never really into Diablo but I'm a big fan of the Dungeon Siege games. In fact I think Summoning Wars has more in common with DS than Diablo, even though I know that the lead developers cite Diablo as a major influence. Just like DS it's more nuanced than Diablo, maybe not as far as general gameplay goes but definitely in terms of world and storyline and character development. Secondly, being both musician and and avid gamer, I've always dreamed of a chance to work on a completely new RPG, a clean slate in terms of music, and come up with various themes and a distinctive overall style. Sumwars is also much more dramatic and action-oriented than any of my previous projects so it forces me to move outside my comfort zone and write music that's darker and harsher than I'm used to. So I'm learning a lot from this project.

Are you satisfied with existing development? Do you think sumwars needs more contributors/testers/artists?

Kind of. Depends on how you look at it. Yes, I'm satisfied that there /is/ development despite the low influx of new contributors. I suspect many projects would have folded already, considering the slow pace. But I would certainly not mind a development boom. And yes we definitely need more contributors in all areas, that's the game's weakest spot right there. We have a great game going but right now we lack the manpower to really make it shine.

How do you see sumwars in the future?

Difficult but interesting question. Sumwars definitely has tons of potential. In fact, it has potential to be one of the greatest FOSS games. Partly because it's unique in terms of genre and scope. I'm not aware of any action RPG's approaching the sophistication of sumwars in the FOSS world. And partly because it's a game being developed by passionate, knowledgable people. But just like any open source project, the success of sumwars hinges on following, simple as that. If the game never attracts a larger audience it will likely stagnate and die. And that would be very sad.

What do you think is important, what do you like / don't like in sumwars's development/community/etc.

Between job and kid my time is limited and I don't hang around the forum or IRC as much as I really should. So I can't really comment on the community bit. If my choice stands between chatting on IRC and making music, I choose music. But I really like the fact that all developers and contributors seem to be pretty much on the same page. We all see the game's potential. We all want to make this project something extraordinary, not just your dime-a-dozen D&D clone or stupid dungeon crawler type of game. I can look at the story content and feel genuienly inspired. I can look at the graphics development and think "yeah, that's just right!". All in all I have lots of confidence in my co-developers. Everyone knows what they're doing, and that's a good feeling.

KroArtem on April 08, 2012, 03:11:48 PM
Reply #12

KroArtem

• View Profile
Thanks for your long and detailed answers, I'm still waiting for others answers.

KroArtem on April 19, 2012, 10:06:10 PM
Reply #13

KroArtem

• View Profile

dezGusty on April 20, 2012, 06:31:33 AM
Reply #14

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Alive: yes.
Actively contributing: not at the moment. :) (Spare time is an issue)