Topic: Experimental : Simple shadows

dezGusty on November 27, 2011, 10:26:55 PM
Reply #15

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi,

this current implementation of "stencil" shadows is CPU based and not that nice looking. It's meant to be a temporary hack only. And of course it does have issues. Correcting them would take time, and I don't think it's needed at this point as we should focus on the end goal: shaders.
The nicer looking shadows are to be enabled using shaders. But for the time being I'm running into trouble enabling them. I'm trying to reproduce examples but failing badly. And I'm not sure if it's the fault of the shader, or the Ogre configuration, or the driver support, or the mesh normals or what else. So things are not progressing as fast as I would like them to. In fact they are progressing quite slow :), as the project at work needs some additional effort on my side.

A separate branch for the shadow tests is probably the way to go. But I would need to get some working shaders in my test application first. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Glad to see there is interest in this :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:28:54 PM by dezGusty »

greengecko on December 01, 2011, 04:05:45 PM
Reply #16

greengecko

• View Profile
Of course there´s interest in it.
But I guess you are the only one being able to do this, so far.
But you´re doing a great job!

Don´t haste! I know, it´s Christmas time now and you have much work etc.
When you have time and will you can work on it and make Sumwars look better :)
But there´s no need atm, so you have time, don´t worry :p

fusion44 on December 01, 2011, 07:44:56 PM
Reply #17

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
dezGusty, I have started a branch about the material system. I want to integrate the material system from http://www.worldforge.org/dev/eng/clients/ember to sumwars. I had a partial success by converting all our materials to the new format. Embers material system has several quality settings and supports texture settings via shaders. It would also make it possible to use Normalmaps and lots of other fancy graphics stuff. I'll have no time this weeken to work on it, but you can try it if you want. Would be nice if we can work together on this.

*edit*
my branch: https://bitbucket.org/fusion44/sumwars-materialsystem
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:46:28 PM by fusion44 »

dezGusty on December 02, 2011, 09:52:21 AM
Reply #18

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Cool, I'll have a look