Topic: A couple of new ideas

West on March 03, 2011, 09:47:49 PM

West

• View Profile
I don't have time to focus on any complex orchestral arrangements at the moment, so I figured I should try contributing some more basic non-orchestral content. First up is a pure ambience track, suitable for underground maps. I could easily make it longer if neccessary.

Ambience 1

Secondly there's this little tune... not finished but there won't be any major surprises later on, just a middle part and then a reprise of the first theme.

Ancient Ruins

As you can hear this isn't really an orchestral piece at all, and I'm not sure it fits the game. Let me know what you think.
  • Read 4472 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 6

kalimgard on March 03, 2011, 10:44:00 PM
Reply #1

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like both pieces.

The ambient track would be nice to add a little diversity to our underground music.

Ancient ruins has a little too much water in it to use it now. I don't know why exactly, but it sounds like jungle, mangroves or swamp. I suspect the flutes are the reason (or at least I think they are (pan)flutes :) ). As it is now it would be perfect for the wilds in the necromancer's lands, but we will not reach them any time soon.

West on March 03, 2011, 11:34:28 PM
Reply #2

West

• View Profile
Quote from: 'kalimgard' pid='1576' dateline='1299188640'

I like both pieces.

The ambient track would be nice to add a little diversity to our underground music.

Great! I made it a little longer and created another one in the same vein. Feel free to add them to the game in some suitable places.

Ambience 1

Ambience 2

Quote from: 'kalimgard' pid='1576' dateline='1299188640'

Ancient ruins has a little too much water in it to use it now. I don't know why exactly, but it sounds like jungle, mangroves or swamp. I suspect the flutes are the reason (or at least I think they are (pan)flutes :) ). As it is now it would be perfect for the wilds in the necromancer's lands, but we will not reach them any time soon.

I wasn't expecting it to be useable in the game right now, but it's good to know stuff like that might come in handy later. And yes, it has sort of a watery jungle feel to it -- hence the title. Well, I'll keep plugging away at it. Doesn't hurt to have a few extra tracks lying around.

kalimgard on March 05, 2011, 12:18:33 AM
Reply #3

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I added them to the caves. It would be helpful to have some feedback how they are ingame.

Trilby on March 05, 2011, 01:06:10 PM
Reply #4

Trilby

• View Profile
I would just like to add, these ambient pieces are wonderfully atmospheric. I look forward to hearing development on the Ancient Ruins piece too.

Would it be too out of place for the ambient pieces to be wired into the region where the Goblin High Shaman is located? 'dark clearing' or something like that.

kalimgard on March 05, 2011, 06:39:42 PM
Reply #5

kalimgard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Honestly I think Dark Clearing is not mysterious enough for this... maybe if we add a little more goblin cult site flare to it. I'll think about it.

KroArtem on March 05, 2011, 07:24:16 PM
Reply #6

KroArtem

• View Profile
didn't tested it ingame, just uploaded from the links given above. Sounds good, a bit scary and not nervous. I think it fits the game (may be not in every place, in dungeons, for example. But I'm sure kalimgard knows better where to add it ;))