Topic: Gui and special occasion sounds

Lastmerlin on January 10, 2011, 01:52:31 PM

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Something I noticed when playing an other games at weekend was: Playing sounds on gui interaction and other player actions (like selecting a skill for instance), as well as special occasions adds significantly to the *feels professional* perception. Currently, sounds are tied to tightly to actions of the avatar, in other words, something that also triggers an animation. Working on that also fits the scope of the next release which is *do the small things that improve player experience*.

As a first action, I implemented some sound for the inventory. I simply chose to play the dropsounds when dropping an item into an inventory or equip slot. By putting the code at the place, this also works for the stash, the belt and the trade window. I also thought about playing a sound when taking the item _out_ but I experienced that the drop sound definitely sounds silly there. Does anyone have a better idea - maybe play an item-independent sound (I have an idea how it could sound, but i cant describe it x( ) ?

However, I worked on a list of different occasions we could use:
- open, close overlays (inventory, characterinfo, skilltree ....)
- button pressed - especially increase attribute and distribute skillpoint (different sounds for these perhaps ? )
- levelup
- teleport
- quest status changed
- potion used
- Item sold / bought
- skill selection changed
- swapped primary / secondary equipement
- collected item (this is played when inventory is hidden)
- blocked damage (I always rejected playing an animation, because this leads to blocklock and other silly effects)

Ok this list is surely not complete yet. Feel free to add some additional ideas. Apart from that, it is also a list for sound proposals again, of course. At the moments we have a turn_page sound that might be used somewhere and I think I saw a teleport sound somewhere in the forum. Overall, this list definetely takes us further away from the aim of having sounds for all occasion we desire. On the other hand, it should take us toward a better gaming experience ;)
  • Read 2207 times
  • Category Sound & Music
Comments: 1

Lastmerlin on January 16, 2011, 11:30:05 PM
Reply #1

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I did the programming work except the teleport and quest status change, which are rather tricky programming-wise and I had not enough time to do it properly. Now, we need the sounds :D . I already use the gold drop sound for Item sell/buy.