Topic: Buttress walls - Trilby's scenic projects

poVoq on May 08, 2012, 08:33:04 AM
Reply #30

poVoq

• View Profile
Could be maybe expanded or combined with this?:

http://opengameart.org/content/3d-dungeon-tileset

It's really a pity that we don't have some sort of editor for SumWars... maybe the tiled editor showcased in the comments from the DNT project could be adapted? I really feel that easy content creation is what is holding SW back in it's current semi frozen state :-/

Trilby on May 08, 2012, 10:52:15 PM
Reply #31

Trilby

• View Profile
Thanks for posting. I had a look at those models. Although our tile sets are set up quite differently from these, I've already taken a few pointers from them. With the low-poly meshes normal mapping on those models really helps visual impact, and ideally I would like to see SumWars' models use that extra level of detail too. I'm assuming we don't have that functionality with the OGRE materials yet?

Currently I'm looking to make a few more tile sets for different environments. As most of the regions are outdoors, I think I may concentrate on varying the types of exterior region walls that we have.

fusion44 on May 09, 2012, 05:27:52 PM
Reply #32

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey all :)

The problem with normal maps is that not all of our models have them!
I think they'll look very out of place compared to the other models without normal maps.

Programming wise its hard to do them right. You have to take into account that some people won't have graphics chips that can render them fast enough and some can't do them at all.

About the editor, I've started an editor but I don't have enough time at the moment to complete it, but its not dead yet!

Trilby on May 16, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
Reply #33

Trilby

• View Profile
As it turns out, I have a lot to learn about making a good looking normal map. Maybe it's just the basic texture or my ineptitude, but the buttress walls didn't transfer well judging by Blender internal.

Anyway.

This picture is from the first in game test of a new ruined wall mesh for the "vault" environment. I need to finish texture mapping and adding extra details like tree roots. From this test the ruined section didn't block a corridor yet --but I may have to watch out for that.

Trilby on May 22, 2012, 03:34:38 PM
Reply #34

Trilby

• View Profile
This .zip archive adds the ruined wall section to the vault environment used in Maylon's Grave. I've set up the files in their respective directories, so everything should be in place, including the xml files to properly wire in the ruin-mesh, including an updated materials script so the all vault walls appear to react to the player light-source.

(Note: This will add new files and overwrite/update older ones)

Please give this a try and let me know what you think, and whether you would like to see more pieces added to the vault environment.

https://www.box.com/s/ef9173ffb036bbb66fcd

You should end up with something like this  :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:40:34 PM by Trilby »

Trilby on May 28, 2012, 07:42:33 PM
Reply #35

Trilby

• View Profile
Now working on a set of additional walls for use in Maylon's Grave. These should hopefully update the current Council wall tileset, for a version that looks older and will not look too out of place alongside the Buttress meshes. In this way we can still see that the location is related to the Council of Summoners.

Jorge Avila on May 28, 2012, 09:16:25 PM
Reply #36

Jorge Avila

• Graphic design
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio/photography
Good idea trilby! =D They look good =D

Hoping to see in the game! :D

Lastmerlin on May 30, 2012, 08:54:04 PM
Reply #37

Lastmerlin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Very good work Trilby. I am also pleased to see, that you also provide the XML files for the integration as well. Apparently, the format is not that complicated as fusions claims after all :P
As I see it, all that is left to do is changing the environment to vault for the appropriate regions.