Topic: So I'm guessing this is it then... ?

dezGusty on January 23, 2013, 06:51:54 PM
Reply #60

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
There seems to be more of a lack of programmers than artists, is that right?
Yes, that's the situation.

If you look at the general forum about future goals and stuff like that, the goals are stated, but I can't figure out to what degree they've been implemented if at all
I would say most are not implemented.

Has there been work on the art and asset infrastructure proposed by Kulik?
Not for some time now. We do have 2 separate repositories, but I did not check the art repository for some time now:
- SVN for art resources (http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=209721&source=navbar).
- Mercurial for code
I think you will want to look into the SVN repository for the art. However, I'm not sure you will find blend files. I know some items are created in Maya, but I can't guarantee it.
Anyway, do you have some previous art that you can show off? I would like to see what visual style you would bring to the table :-)

What about the long-term goals stated by lastmerlin?
Have the plans for 0.5.7 been implemented?
I added some basic support for shadows. But now the maps need to be updated.(shadows look funny underground). I think only one of the other goals (related to some mission scripting) is almost finished. An editor was started, but... not news on it in recent times.

And the UI reskin as proposed by Jorge Avila in the same thread, what about this? What has been implemented?
Well, there was some update on that front, but the current implementation is still more of a hack. I will try to adjust the implementation, and bring into the game something based on a CEGUI skin of mine: http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6006 (but with a somewhat different look).

Pappe on January 23, 2013, 08:35:15 PM
Reply #61

Pappe

• View Profile
I looked into the art repo and so far I haven't found a single blend file or other source files. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

As for models I made. Those are some more recent and some of the better ones. I made a lot of really good RTS models when I was working for a game studio, but I can't show them unfortunately. Maybe these will suffice.

What do you meen with the maps must be updated? The lighting?

What can be checked as done of those?

Programming:
- Improved minimap
- stable and well-tested network
- enchanting system
- system for creating paths and streets
- terrain
- shadows (somehow) (done)
- Improve Mapgenerator (placement of templates, flexibility, interface)
- Fix translation issues
- To be discussed: Implement potion timer (I dislike that you can drink potions at arbitrary speed) (done)
- More testing and improvement for network (again ;) )

GUI/Graphics programming:
- Verification of shadows (almost surely a lot remaining work here)
- Minor improvements to GUI (like changing the close buttons)
- Visualizing of region exits
- Improvement of the timer visualization
- Hopefully: Improvement of the minimap
- Gui reskin (under way by dezGusty) (very nice GUI skin btw. That would be awesome ingame.)

Graphik:
- Icons for all skills
- improved particle systems
- support for billboards ?
- replace all placeholder graphics (what are those placeholder graphics; needs clarification; a list would be nice...)
- Integration of the all completed meshes (I dont even know how much of Psychos work is not ingame yet..) [Are there actual models or even source files of the work Psycho has done? If so, where are they? I couldn't find any]

Scripting:
- Implementation of the greengecko quests
- Hopefully: Finally start extending the story after the Lich
- all sidequests that are located before the fight against the lich
- at least one smalltalk topic for each npc

Sound, Music:
- Fill the gaps, especially with sound

Tools:
- Editor for creating new maps
- Improvement to the content integration tools

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:22:04 PM by Pappe »

dezGusty on January 23, 2013, 09:08:06 PM
Reply #62

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
First off: nice models.
I also downloaded the SVN repo and did not find .blend files. Only Maya mb files.

What can be checked as done (as far as I know): all the items that appear as "done" in the list you posted.
replace all placeholder graphics (what are placeholder graphics; needs clarification)
We have many skill icons that are using "dummy" pictures.

Pappe on January 23, 2013, 09:09:16 PM
Reply #63

Pappe

• View Profile
There is also much work to do, to get this project running again. Most of those are, as dezGusty stated managment issues.

I propose this, you are hereby encouraged to complete this list.

Update the Wiki
- upload the new compiled version of sumwars
- remove as much stubs as possible to encourage newbies that stumble upon the wiki to read on and proceed to the forum [especcially content creation needs updates]
- generate and upload some news to show you're alive
- generate and upload up to date builds for Mac and Linux if possible
- think about a better introduction page for newbies so they become and stay interested [maybe it's fine as it is though...]

Gamedesign
- get down and brainstorm to get something like a gamedesign document going
- what are our common thoughts and hopes about what the game should be like in the end
- what are our short and long term goals
- what is the game actually about; Gameplay mechanics, balancing, that stuff
- a summary of the story that sparks interest but doesn't spoil anything

Managment
- who is still active and willing to continue
- where are we lacking [right now programming, right?]
- maybe reassign the resposebilities
- have regular devchats via irc or something similar on days where as much members as possible can attend
- get naming conventions down [maybe I haven't found where those are written?!]
- think about model conventions such as scaling and especcially polycounts [I think with todays hardware much more is possible, since polycount normally isn't the bottleneck, but too restrictive limits could deter contributers]

Advertisment of the game
- write some reviews and spread them over the net
- make some gameplay videos

Those are my suggestions for the next months. I think those are more important than developing the game itself, although those tasks are certainly more boring.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:17:59 PM by Pappe »

fusion44 on January 23, 2013, 09:22:58 PM
Reply #64

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello Pappe and welcome! I hope you'll stay around for some time.

I looked into the art repo and so far I haven't found a single blend file or other source files. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Unfortunately the developers all used maya as they got it for free from university. This of course bites us now. If anyone is up for the task to convert the models to blender, we'd be very grateful :)
But I wouldn't consider this as a high priority item.

As for models I made. Those are some more recent and some of the better ones. I made a lot of really good RTS models when I was working for a game studio, but I can't show them unfortunately. Maybe these will suffice.
Would be nice to see them some time!

What do you meen with the maps must be updated? The lighting?
Yes, look at this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6VUDV_5Vo
This is supposed to be underground. The maps where not build with shadows in mind, so there absolutely no lights beside the sun.

What can be checked as done of those?
Programming:
- Improved minimap
- stable and well-tested network
There are some things here that are at least started. I think this list would make sense in the wiki. I'll try to migrate this list to the wiki some time this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:26:21 PM by fusion44 »

fusion44 on January 23, 2013, 09:42:05 PM
Reply #65

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There is also much work to do, to get this project running again. Most of those are, as dezGusty stated managment issues.

I propose this, you are hereby encouraged to complete this list.

Update the Wiki
- upload the new compiled version of sumwars
- remove as much stubs as possible to encourage newbies that stumble upon the wiki to read on and proceed to the forum [especcially content creation needs updates]
- generate and upload some news to show you're alive
- generate and upload up to date builds for Mac and Linux if possible
- think about a better introduction page for newbies so they become and stay interested [maybe it's fine as it is though...]
Before we actually edit the wiki it may be a better idea to migrate to another wiki that is independent of the original developers webspace.
The webspace isn't going down anytime soon, but I'd feel safer if we had it on some big service.
I'd say that we try the bitbucket wiki (https://bitbucket.org/sumwars/sumwars-code/wiki/Home).

Gamedesign
- get down and brainstorm to get something like a gamedesign document going
- what are our common thoughts and hopes about what the game should be like in the end
- what are our short and long term goals
- what is the game actually about; Gameplay mechanics, balancing, that stuff
- a summary of the story that sparks interest but doesn't spoil anything
Take a look at the docs folder in the source repository:
https://bitbucket.org/sumwars/sumwars-code/src/b2ba13b0d740/doc?at=default
There are already a lot of documents, unfortunately some of them in german. They need to be translated and "wikified".

Managment
- who is still active and willing to continue
- where are we lacking [right now programming, right?]
- maybe reassign the resposebilities
- have regular devchats via irc or something similar on days where as much members as possible can attend
- get naming conventions down [maybe I haven't found where those are written?!]
- think about model conventions such as scaling and especcially polycounts [I think with todays hardware much more is possible, since polycount normally isn't the bottleneck, but too restrictive limits could deter contributers]
I'm active, unfortunately I'll be pretty busy until June this year when I finish my studies (I should be learning right now arrghh!!).
We can also hold regular hangouts on G+.

Advertisment of the game
- write some reviews and spread them over the net
- make some gameplay videos
I'd like to record a gameplay video during a multiplayer session and create some sort of short action trailer out of it.
We have a longer story trailer somewhere since some time, I just can't find the link anymore.

dezGusty on January 24, 2013, 11:20:19 PM
Reply #66

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hmm... in order to prepare the list, I suggest that we either:
a)  meet on irc and discuss the items more thoroughly (though it's not that easy to have everyone on irc at the same time)
or
b) create new threads for the short and long term goals and have everyone who's involved or wants to be involved in summoning wars add a thought or two.
(I would prefer this option).

So, I unless anyone objects, I will create 2 threads tomorrow for the short and long-term goals and ask everyone to pitch in. We'll gather input, see where we stand and how we can continue. I'll write a summary of the information that we should place in in the actual thread.