Topic: So I'm guessing this is it then... ?

dezGusty on January 09, 2013, 09:47:12 AM
Reply #45

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
@West: Sorry to hear that. But I guess you feel better now :-). You have time to create tracks also at a later stage. Anyway, we still have some of the newer tracks online, right? (E.g. "Reluctant Hero").

@Fusion: do you have the new tracks from West? Also, would you please test the material-system-056 branch? (It has the shader based graphics, and I recently updated it to have better support for Direct3D under Windows). I would suggest that we use that branch for the next release.
Maybe even merge it into the default branch and get rid of it afterwards.

West on January 11, 2013, 01:49:22 AM
Reply #46

West

• View Profile
@West: Sorry to hear that. But I guess you feel better now :-). You have time to create tracks also at a later stage. Anyway, we still have some of the newer tracks online, right? (E.g. "Reluctant Hero").

Yeah, I guess we can use the current WIP versions of Reluctant Hero, Inferno Behemoth, Goblin Rituals and maybe also Joringsbridge. They're no more unfinished than the tracks already in the game. :P

I'll see if I can provide you with ogg versions tomorrow.

fusion44 on January 12, 2013, 04:49:27 PM
Reply #47

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I want to apologize that I've not been around this week. I'll be around tomorrow :)

dezGusty on January 15, 2013, 01:16:22 PM
Reply #48

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
So, fusion, did you have the chance to test the branch "material-system-056" ? I may have also checked in some CMake modules, so I just want to make sure that it doesn't break anything on your end.
I would really like it if we were to declare it good enough for now so that we can merge it into the default branch.

fusion44 on January 16, 2013, 10:53:15 PM
Reply #49

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm trying to sync the branch with default but I'm getting some merging errors in application.cpp that need to be resolved before I can test it. Every other conflict resolved nicely.
When its done I'll upload test packages.

fusion44 on January 16, 2013, 11:55:29 PM
Reply #50

fusion44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've compiled it and uploaded a short video how it looks on my machine. We have to have a way to control the shadows based on the maptype. The current form of the shadows don't make any sense in maps that theoretically have a roof. I always have a feeling like the mansion has opened windows :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6VUDV_5Vo

I'll upload a package tomorrow for all to try.

dezGusty on January 17, 2013, 06:55:19 AM
Reply #51

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
We have to have a way to control the shadows based on the maptype
Yes, that is correct. The map definition will need to also contain an information on lighting / shadow types. And they will also need to contain some predefined lights.
E.g:
- for outdoors: one strong directional light: the sun, with its position (a sunset will create different shadows)
- for indoors: several omnidirectional lights which affect only their immediate surroundings (lit torches on the wall)

2. I don't have a clue as to how the map definition looks like. But I will look into it. Unless you know it already (and could help out with this).

3. I guess you encountered no problems with the build considering the modified CMake modules?

I always have a feeling like the mansion has opened windows
It currently looks like it has a glass roof, at a high altitude. I'm sure Windclaw has the money to afford it.  :)

Pappe on January 22, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
Reply #52

Pappe

• View Profile
Hello all, I wanted to say hello and introduce myself, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Well I'm Pappe, I'm from Germany. I'm a part time 3D-artist with some experience and I worked on several projects sofar, one was prefessional. Sumwars catched my interest some days ago and I'm looking for some new possibilities to create some art within a reasonably active team. Maybe sumwars could be something for me.

First of, I want to know a bit about the game and the team. How many of you still consider yourself active and able to contribute? What about a design document? I know the game is already playable and I already enjoyed playing it, but what about future goals condensed into a few pages?
Is there a place where you have the most needed artwork listed and sorted after priority?
Do you think it's a realistic goal, that you can release another version in a reasonable amount of time?

Sorry, for all those questions. I worked with several teams on different project, but most of them withered away slowly and painfully. But I learned from that and I believe that it's possible to revive even after near death.

So long.

dezGusty on January 22, 2013, 09:58:10 PM
Reply #53

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
Hi Pappe, nice of you to drop by.

I'm not sure everyone will look into this thread to reply, but let's hope they do :)

About the game and the team.
I have been inactive for some time, but becoming more active during this period, as time allows me. So, I consider myself active. The project has been slowing down almost to a crawl during the last year.

We are currently lacking the kind of project management that you are asking about. (Design documents, item tracker for art). Come to think of it, we are currently lacking project management (period). And that's the biggest issue. So, as for the future goals, I'm not sure what to say. I can only mention the ones that have been raised/mentioned recently:
- make minor incremental improvements to the graphics of the game (note: this currently means making the shadow behaviour more consistent, updating the particle and shader effects, as well as adding
- update music (bring the latest pieces produced by our team member West into the game)
- update the UI of the game, as some elements are just temporary hacks.
- make the game engine more generic (scriptable, moddable). (I for one would like to be able to create a mini-game, similar to a custom map from Warcraft3: highly customizable).

Another version: as we did not release a version for quite some time, we want to make a small maintenance release just to show that we still alive.

Pappe on January 22, 2013, 10:04:54 PM
Reply #54

Pappe

• View Profile
                Come to think of it, we are currently lacking project management (period)

I thought so. That's the thing that most OSS projects die of. Lack of managment.

How is the communication organized? Do you meet regularly via irc or other means or are you mainly communicating via the forum?

What are your plans to remedy the lack of managment? Do you have ideas to solve this?

Do you have deparment leads? Like art department lead or story department lead?

Is there a person or several persons in charge of the whole project?

dezGusty on January 22, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
Reply #55

dezGusty

• Artists
    • View Profile
How is the communication organized? Do you meet regularly via irc or other means or are you mainly communicating via the forum?

While there is also an IRC channel, I find myself using the forum most.

(Btw: Here's the set of guides that we have for contributions: http://sumwars.org/wiki/Contribute)

What are your plans to remedy the lack of managment? Do you have ideas to solve this?
So far, I've waited for the problem to solve itself with time. That didn't work yet :) . I might try to see if I can manage an open source project. But I'm still thinking about it.

Do you have deparment leads? Like art department lead or story department lead?
Yup. And they are also the forum moderators for each category.

Is there a person or several persons in charge of the whole project?
Not sure. I could have said that nobody is in charge. But things seem to be starting to move on their own. fusion44 seems to have put most time in this during the last half year.

Pappe on January 23, 2013, 12:46:22 AM
Reply #56

Pappe

• View Profile
I'm trying to figure out who does what, who is active, and how much manpower is left. There seems to be more of a lack of programmers than artists, is that right?

If you look at the general forum about future goals and stuff like that, the goals are stated, but I can't figure out to what degree they've been implemented if at all. If that was known that would be much easier to get some order into this mess via copy&pasting. :)
It's not so much of a mess though, it's just hard to figure out in a short amount of time.
Maybe you could help me figure that out?

Has there been work on the art and asset infrastructure proposed by Kulik?
http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=355.0

What about the long-term goals stated by lastmerlin?
http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=125.0

And the UI reskin as proposed by Jorge Avila in the same thread, what about this? What has been implemented?

Have the plans for 0.5.7 been implemented?
http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=386.0

Dratz-_C on January 23, 2013, 01:55:04 AM
Reply #57

Dratz-_C

Pappe,
I would like to welcome you to Summoning Wars. It is nice to see someone new among us. I do not expect you to stay on with us but I hope that you have time to.  ;) I work on little projects involving music. I also help with testing windows releases. Like dezGusty I usually use the forum to communicate with others, but I use irc when necessary.
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:59:32 AM by Dratz-_C »

Pappe on January 23, 2013, 11:06:07 AM
Reply #58

Pappe

• View Profile
Hello Dratz-_C, nice to meet you. You as well dezGusty, totally forgot that. :)

It sure is better to have no expectations. But I'm really impressed about what you have achieved so far. I liked playing the game so far. And my fingers are itching to improve the graphics. :) I guess I will stay a bit.

I just listened to your ambient music. It's awesome.

Pappe on January 23, 2013, 02:13:56 PM
Reply #59

Pappe

• View Profile
So far I haven't been able to locate source files. Are they stored somewhere or are only the .mesh files available? I know there is a blender importer for Ogre meshes, but that one is like 4 years old and for Blender 3.6 with python 2.4. I was able to get it to run about a year ago. But I don't remember how I did it. I tried to the last few hours, but I wasn't able to get it to run. I wanted to import some models to fiddle with them.

Here's the import script just in case someone wants to try to get it to run. You need blender 2.36 and python 2.4, in theory at least.
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/BlenderImport